Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, here's the problem:
I currently have 2x512 ram, 400mhz, double sided. I bought a third of a different brand (crucial where as my originals are kingston) and this is exactly the same specs.

There is NO compatibility problem at all, I've used this with an old piece of ram, this on its own and my two original rams on their own. I've read in my manual (only just now) that the mobo can accept a maximum of 3xdouble sided, 333mhz rams, or 2 double sided 400mhz rams, but not 3 double sided 400mhz rams. This is my third of that type, so the problem is I can't use my third bit of ram as it's not compatible at the moment.

My question is can I update my motherboard or use a utility to change this? I want to be able to allow my GA-K8VT800 motherboard (this ISN'T the pro version, just the standard one) to accept 3x400mhz, double sided, 512mb rams. Can anyone point to a utility or bios update that may help me? Thanks :D

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If not.... you're going to need to put in 2x 1GB sticks of RAM... which would be best.

You can't exactly do Dual-channel with 3 sticks of RAM and at 400Mhz on the older boards it becomes a bit "sticky". You most likely will have slower performance and/or timing issues causing the system to crash.

If it doesn't work, take back the new STICK, and buy 2x 1GB sticks. Sell your old RAM for about $75, or a friend who needs it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.