Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Day,

I have an older GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0) motherboard with an AMD FX-6300 Black CPU. My problem is that the DIMM socket #4 is reporting the wrong MHz and DIMM no matter what stick of RAM I insert in it. Am I right to think this not letting me get the proper AMP (XMP) speeds?
I've swapped the two RAM sticks in DIMM sockets 3 & 4 and verified that all the RAM sticks are OEM DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800, but no mater which stick of RAM I insert into DIMM socket #4, (I've even inserted a completely differed brand of RAM (Hynix PC3 12800 1600) into DIMM socket #4 and CPU-Z and Speccy, report it to be Kingston DDR3 PC3 10700 1333MHZ. Is there something I need to reset? I’ve made sure all the chip drivers, BIOS, UEFI, etc., are as up to date as they can be.

Thanks for your help!

DIMM sockets 1 & 2 have Kingston DDR3 Hyper X KHXX1600c installed
DIMM sockets 3 & 4 have Kingston DDR3 PC3 12800 16000 Installed

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
46,754 Posts
Those were good boards in their day however that board is now 9yr old. Since the memory controller is part of the processor rather than the motherboard, I would do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Pull the heatsink fan or cooler OFF. Note if it does not come OFF easily, read the sticky about how to remove the cooler
3 Pull the cpu out and give both the motherboard socket and the cpu pins a good shot with a can of contact cleaner. Once dry, reinstall the processor
4 Clean both the processor and the cooler. When both are clean and dry, apply new thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the compound mfg's instructions. Install the cooler
5 Clear cmos with the clear pins for a minimum of 10 seconds
6 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and make any custom settings you need ie boot order, ram speed, etc. Save settings and restart

If it works now, great. If not, it is not cost effective to replace 9yr old hardware.

·
Trusted Advisor
86,024 Posts
These are the 4 modules you have installed in that motherboard:
Kingston HP655409-150-HYCG 2 GB DDR3-1600 MHz (slot 1)
Kingston HP655409-150-HYCG 2 GB DDR3-1600 MHz (slot 2)
Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 4 GB DDR3-1600 MHz (slot 3)
Kingston KHX1600C10D3/8GX 8 GB DDR3-1600 MHz (slot 4)

That motherboard supports a maximum of 32 GB(8 GB x 4) of RAM.
It uses 1.5 volt, CL=11, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, DDR3-1600 MHz modules.

Does the BIOS show all 4 modules as DDR3-1600 MHz, or does it show one or more of them at a different speed?

crjdriver has jumped in and is one of our respected hardware experts, so I'll leave you with him. (y)

---------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Those were good boards in their day however that board is now 9yr old. Since the memory controller is part of the processor rather than the motherboard, I would do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Pull the heatsink fan or cooler OFF. Note if it does not come OFF easily, read the sticky about how to remove the cooler
3 Pull the cpu out and give both the motherboard socket and the cpu pins a good shot with a can of contact cleaner. Once dry, reinstall the processor
4 Clean both the processor and the cooler. When both are clean and dry, apply new thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the compound mfg's instructions. Install the cooler
5 Clear cmos with the clear pins for a minimum of 10 seconds
6 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and make any custom settings you need ie boot order, ram speed, etc. Save settings and restart

If it works now, great. If not, it is not cost effective to replace 9yr old hardware.
Thanks for the guidance!

Believe me, I am well aware of how old the system and GPU are every time I get online to game. Just trying to get the most out of it till I pull the trigger on a new Ryzen build. Guess I should have mentioned I've been building PCs as a hobbyist for years, but this problem had me confounded.
If you think it's the CPU, I might just spend the 25-30 bucks (on Ebay) to replace it. The CPU has been running hotter than usual lately. Even after upgrading to a newer Wraith Prism cooler a while back. So, if I'm going to pull the heatsink and clean - might as well go the extra mile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.