Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out my machines requires registered SDRram. For the life of me I can't find out what this means. What is the difference between registered and unregistered ram?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here's a description of the two types of SDRAM you refer to from compaq.com's website.

Q: What is the difference between registered and unregistered SDRAM?
A: SDRAM comes in two varieties - registered and unregistered. The difference is the presence of a clock synchronizing circuit in the registered SDRAM that provides support for the memory system. Memory transfers to and from the processor are transmitted as burst cycles. Four 64-bit transfers between the processor and memory make up a burst. Registered SDRAM synchronizes the system clock and a clock in the memory itself to maintain the proper burst timing. In simple application environments, this feature is less important, therefore offering less expensive unregistered SDRAM enables a more cost-effective solution for the customer. In addition, unregistered SDRAM, though offering less expansion, enables higher performance than registered SDRAM.
Hope this answers your question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.