Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just attempted to update my RAM for the second time. This time without success. My computer first came with 2x 512MB DDR2 DIMMs - I tried upgrading these to 2x 1GB but only one of the sticks took. I presumed one stick was faulty, got it refunded, didn't bother replacing it and thought no more of it, settling with 1.5GB RAM.

I have now tried to up my RAM to the supposed max. of 4GB (2 slots of 2GB). Whilst there are discrepancies, most of the online scans, including crucial, informed me that that is what my motherboard can take.

I ordered 2x Bytestor 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz - when i installed them both together initially, the computer just beeped repeatedly at me. I then tried one stick and got a similar reaction. I then tried 1 2GB and my old, working 1GB stick. The OS loaded, but promptly rebooted itself over and over. I performed memtest86 on both sticks (though only 2 passes...I may do more later) and no errors came up. I also checked CMOS for voltages and everything seemed a-ok.

I'm led to believe that this is a compatibility issue, power issue (doubtful, but I am currently running a 350W min. card on a 250W PSU...not at full capacity of course, or else I would have a very crispy motherboard) or capacity issue. Below are some details. Let me know if you have any ideas about what the actual cause could be and possible resolutions.

Incidentally, I have emailed both my computer manufacturer and the RAM manufacturer in the hope that they may be able to shed some light over compaitibility, etc.

Make & Model: Packard Bell iMedia 1559
CPU: Pentium D
Motherboard: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA-8TRC410M-NF (200MHz)
No. of RAM slots: 2
Max. RAM - supposedly 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR2 DIMMs)
PCIe - x16
GFX: nVidia GeForce 7950GT (512MB) DDR
PSU: FSP Group Inc. FSP250-60Gen (250W, 60Hz)

Thanks for any help - much appreciated!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello.

You have emailed Packard Bell?

If you place on stick in the slot nearest CPU it doesnt beep?

If you remove that stick and place in the second stick in slot nearest CPU it doesnt beep?

You need to let memtest run a lot longer at least 7 passes.

Your system does take:

DDR2 400 / DDR2533 / DDR2 667, 2 banks
Support for up to 4 GB system memory

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jelly-Bean,

Yes I have emailed Packard Bell, but don't know how long it will take them to get back to me. I did it after learning that some motherboards are rather picky about the make of RAM that they accept.

I tired the single stick in the slot nearest the motherboard and there were a lot of beeps. I haven't tried it in slot 2 yet but I will and will report back.

I was going to run memtest again tonight (so that I can sleep through it) - though, although no errors were found, it did stop through an "unknown interruption" a couple of times.

Good to know my system can take the 2 GB DDR2 667, thanks. I know it could bit bad RAM, but if its not, any ideas what it could be? Bytestor had some pretty good reviews on amazon (where i bought the RAM) but of course its not a top of the range manufacturer, nor are the sticks ECC-ready etc. How common is it for a motherboard/RAM slot to act up based purely on the manufacturer of the RAM stick? Seems a little odd to me though.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.