Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was attempting to do some upgrading to my computer. I installed a stick of 1 GB DDR RAM to replace a stick of 256MB. After I did this, my computer stopped working properly. I heard it working in there, but it was like my monitor had been unplugged. After checking all connections, I took out the I GB and put it in the other slot, basically switching it with the other 256. Still the same result. Then tried just the 1 GB. Finally I put back what was originally there and here i am, back where i was, only mad that i paid for a gig of RAM that my computer doesn't like for some reason. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

By the way, I also had my 1 TB western digital external hard drive quit on me this week and my laptop's WD hard drive as well, so if anyone knows any ways of retrieving data, that would be great too. The external is under warranty, so i don't want to destroy it, but don't want them having my documents either.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
With machine off
hit power button start tapping the f2 button light and fast until the bios appears...if you dont get it within a few seconds then you missed it and will have to try again

The newer dells are f2..so try that if it dont work i will see if i can find the correct key for your model

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the f2 didn't work, but i did just come across something. on crucial.com, i ran a scan of my computer and it said a max of 512mb per slot. is this a reliable source of info, because i checked a site, can't remember what one now, before i bought the RAM, that said my system would support 2 GB, so now i'm confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.