Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to setup Win2000 on a new system with RAID 0 , press F6 on setup , insert the floppy ,but it wont read or find the drivers on the floppy.

Which files do i use on the floppy ???

If i download the IDE RAID driver from ;
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-7N400%20Pro2%20(Rev%202.0).htm

there is about 7Meg of files in the download , i deleted a wordpad folder and put the rest on floppy disc , but windows setup cant find the RAID files on that floppy.

what do i put on the floppy ?
what am i doing wrong ?

GA 7N400Pro 2 , V 1.0
WD 800 IDE x2
Kingston 512 Meg x 2
gigabyte 9600 VGA card

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't see a file on there @7mb for Raid array? are you using IDE drives or SATA drives? make sure you download the right ones. Also usually the CD that came with the Mobo contains the drivers,No??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay , the questions first.

when i download the "ITE RAID drivers" the rich text file named "NT" which is 7,054 KB in size , is too big for a floppy

Next , i am using WD 800 IDE drives.

Next issue , the MOBO comes with a CD , but it dont tell you which files to put on a floppy for RAID drivers during setup , using that or downloading from the Gigashyte website dont matter if it doesnt tell you which files to use , and putting them all on the floppy doesnt work either

·
Registered
997 Posts
dude dont diss other users please. Its not nice especially when your looking for help. If you do then no-one will be wiling to help you. Please edit your last post before someone reports you to a mod or something.

Why dont you put them onto a cd and set the gigabyte program to run from a cd instead of floppy. That mite work, do note i said try. It may still not work. I dont know ive never had to use it on my computer yet.

thank you for editing the post. theres is no need to be abusive in any way. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Based on the contents of the zip file, I would say you need to put the 2000 drivers at the root of the floppy so the 2000 install can see them. They are located in the ITE_RAID\DRIVERS\WIN2K_XP. Don't think you should need any files other than those three. Have you tried that???

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Also, have you read the manuals you received with the board?
Per the main manual (do not blame me for the poor English):

Question 4: Why do I fail to install RAID and ATA drivers under Win 2000 and XP on boards that support RAID function after I connect the boot HDD to IDE3 or IDE4?
Answer: First of all, you need to save some files in th CD-ROM to a floppy disk before installing drivesr. You also need to go through some rather different steps in the installation process. Therefore, we suggest that you refer to the installation steps in the RAID manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay , thanks for reply , look at the attached bmp. i tried pasting those 3 files into a floppy , but it wont work either.

but what do you mean by putting the drivers at the root of the floppy ? is that different from just cut / pasting them ?

maybe thats the problem.

(just when i needed an angel)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Those are the three. What I meant my putting them at the root was to place only those files on the floppy - no folders, nothing else. So if you open up your a drive, you see the files right away.

I couldn't find the RAID manual the main manual referenced for additional instructions that are supposedly available. Do you still have the manuals you received with the board?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks angel

i have the manuals , and tried searching the website , but anything i could find is missing the crucial details .

(english is poor , and manuals poorly designed IMO)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Step 1:
Find an available system and insert the motherboard driver CD into the CD-ROM drive. The installation
utility will appear automatically. Quit the installation utility first.
Step 2:
Go to My Computer and right-click the CD-ROM icon (this procedure assumes Drive D) and select Open
Then you should see folders and files contained in the driver CD. Go to the BootDrv folder and look for
a file named MENU.exe.

Step 3:
Double-click MENU.exe. An MS-DOS prompt screen similar to Figure 12 will appear.

Step 4:
Insert an empty floppy disk. Select your option (this most likely based on which ide controller you plugged the drives into - might be GIGARAID. Might be one of the Promise choices). Then it will take about one minute
to copy the driver from the motherboard driver CD to the floppy disk.

Step 5:
Press 0 to exit when the procedure is completed. You have copied the driver
successfully.

-----------------------
Forgot to ask... when your system is booting, are you provided with an option to enter raid bios setup (Ctrl+a? ctrl+m?). Pretty sure that even if you get the right driver installed for the 2000 setup, if you haven't actually created an array yet, you're kinda screwed.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
upsidexxx said:
thankyou bonzo .

i looked through the other files , there is nothing else there with *.INF extension though ?
You just have known extensions hidden. When viewing the files, go to Tools>Folder Options, View tab, uncheck Hide File Extensions.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I just downloaded the file and noticed also that the files attributes are set to read only......not sure if this will make a difference but right click on them go to propertys and uncheck the read only boxes, as I say I'm unsure if this will make a difference but they aren't usually set like that, well certainly not on my PC and I run 2000.
The 3 files you showed in the BMP appear to be the correct ones IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that was looking good for a minute , it seemed to create the diskette okay , but it still wont open and install when i F6 during windows setup.

during bootup , i hit CTRL+G to go into raid setup , i created the array , the system says its a "bootable array" 32 k stripe etc.

so the problem must be elsewhere , the driver diskette is probably okay

so , despite your good advice , i am still screwed (just for the wrong reasons)

any other ideas ?

(and thankyou for your time already , much appreciated )

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Array configured. Good. So now it's just the task of getting 2000 setup to see the logical drive.
What is the title of the raid setup (promise? something else?) when you go into it.
Which option off that cd/create floppy menu did you select to create disks for?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gigaraid is the title , and i selected that during DOS execution (option 2 from memory)

next option ?

anything in BIOS i need to check , modify , or spray with bug zapper , nuke even ?

lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i never expected to get a reply , but i got the following response from Gigabyte tech support after 10 days

Maybe BIOS settings were a problem , but even though i changed them to suit PATA RAID i still cant get the system to boot from the F6 command and install their RAID driver ......... :(
-----------------------------------------------
Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products and contacting GBT Tech Support.
As to the problem you mentioned, we have attached two files for your requirement. Please refer to "gigaraid_boot_disk" if you want to install PATA HDDs and "silican_win2003_raid_bootdisk" if you want to install SATA HDDs.

If you want to install OS on SATA HDD and boot from it, please extract attached file to a empty floppy disk. Then when system reboot, please get into BIOS, change first boot device as SCSI, SATA/RAID/SCSI boot order as "SATA...", enable onboard SATA controller and set it as raid mode.

While OS installation is initiated, please press F6 key and insert the disk to FDD for specific driver installation.

At last, if there is any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try to help you to resolve them as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE Technology

Attachment : gigaraid_boot_disk.exe ( 75 KB ) : for IDE RAID controller

silicon_win2003_raid_boot_disk.exe ( 167 KB ) : for SATA raid controller

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.