Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into this problem when trying to upgrade to iTunes 7 to work with a new iPod nano. I got the following error (also attached): "Could not open key: HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\QuickTime.QuickTime\CLSID. Verrify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Per Apple's self-help page, I tried to remove iTunes and QuickTime so I can do a total reinstall but keep getting the same error. I've reviewed this very helpful website and have followed some advice "eddie5659" has provided about this. However I haven't been able to fix it. Maybe my specific circumstances aren't the same.

Your help will be appreciated so my daughter can use her new iPod! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
everytime i try to down load the quicktime portion of the itunes for my new 4gb ipod nano i get a message that says ----cannot access hkey_local_machine_\software\classes\quicktimeplayerapp\clsid please check to see if you have permission to access this or contact your blah blah blah. I have found this hkey on my computer but have no idea what to do. i am a computer idiot so any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having the same exact problem. Apple "Support" is useless. This same subject has been addressed here in other posts but so far, none have worked for me. Wish I could help you, but I'm in the same boat!

·
Super Moderator
37,537 Posts
Hiya and welcome

I've merged both your threads together, as its best to have one thread per problem ;)

lifesabeach: I've noticed that yours is for a different registry key, for the other thread you probably looked at. However, we'll have a go :)

Go to Start | Run and type REGEDIT, and press OK.
On the left, navigate to this folder:

HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\QuickTime.QuickTime\CLSID

Then, making sure that you've clicked the CLSID folder on the left, rightclick and choose Permissions.

Now, different people have different systems, so see if this works for you:

In the permissions window, go to advanced settings:
Select both "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object" and "Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions"
-----------

steve_cb1970: If you follow the above as well, but go to the different registry key, as yours is:

hkey_local_machine_\software\classes\quicktimeplayerapp\clsid

---------

If you have problems at that point, this is how ccastillowhs solved it:

You go to the key that's giving you the problem and give yourself permission to that key by right clicking it choosing permissions, click add and type "administrators" then click ok then click advanced and go to the owner tab, then give administrators permission, then click apply then ok. Remember that it is a folder so double click it to expand it. This is the part I forgot. Then click the clsid folder and repeat the steps to give your self permission to the key.
http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/524625-solved-itunes-7-0-registry.html

But try the first option.

You may want to create a restore point, prior to doing any of this, just in case:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I have the Same problem while installing itunes/quicktime an error occurrs i with a message the writes, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Windows\CurretVersion\Run." If anyone can help solve this problem please help I'd greatly appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.