Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on upgrading my system and i have found a killer deal on RAM, i have the choice of PC133 or PC100, now my other stick of 128 is PC100, Can I run PC133 with the other stick of PC100??

·
Registered
35 Posts
dk, I don't have any trouble mixing speed, brand or size of sdram on my abit MBs. That doesn't mean you won't have any trouble.

As cheap as it is, I wouldn't worry about it. :D

Otto

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you have PC 100 already in the computer, the new RAM is going to run at 100Mhz no matter what you get. I would just get the PC100 and eliminate any chance of problems.

PC133 will usually mix OK with PC100, but I have read of problems.

You probably aren’t going to be able to transfer it to your next computer anyway unless you plan to build a legacy system.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
legacy system=almost antique. It basically refers to not being able to use the pc100 or pc133 ram in a your next system as it will probably be using ddr or rambus or some new memory that we havent even heard of yet. What was stated previously, may as well stick with pc100 as that is what is in your system now. The mix would probably work but may not. If you go with both pc100, most likely no problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Legacy usually point to any device which are non-PnP.
If mother boad has PCI slot, it's not a legacy board since all PCI & AGP are PnP.
ISA comes in both PnP and non-PnP. The modem you're refering to is non-PnP, not the drivers.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Legacy hardware and software is usually defined as being outdated. I’ve never seen a narrow definition of particular equipment features or software compatibilities that drive it into legacy status – it is a sliding scale as technology advances. A setup that is Win98 based could well be a legacy system in a few years when new software doesn’t work on it any more. Any system with PC100 or PC133 is likely to be considered a legacy system in five or so years as new equipment and software won’t work on it.

Here is a breakdown of what is considered legacy on a Mac and PC: http://www.girard248.org/general/workstation Since they define “Best” in a PC as having a 400Mhz Pentium I would think the page is old enough to shift the legacy equipment 1 column to the left to what was “Good” a couple of years ago.

Their definition of legacy hardware: “Legacy (Minimum): Sub-par hardware configuration. These configurations will be noticeably slow and may have difficulty running or be unable to run newer software.”

Microsoft definition: “Legacy Any feature in the system based on older technology for which compatibility continues to be maintained in other system components, even though equivalent or better functionality is provided using newer, more flexible technologies.”

PC 100 and 133 are both becoming obsolete and you are not likely to be able to use either in your next system. Get the PC 100 for the same price since it is going to run at 100Mhz anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.