Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
472 Posts
The processor is nice with the 4mb cache/core

I haven't had much experience with EVGA motherboards, but their video cards are ok. I would personally just go with a different motherboard.

And I would go with a 500W + powersupply, and don't go cheap on this part...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually, the PSU that the OP suggested is really nice. 4 +12V rails with 17 amps on each rail. Very stable-looking...

As for the processor, meh. I like the new C2D with 3.0 ghz and the 45nm tech, but it's up to you if you want dual-core or quad core.

And the mobo... If you're going to use that good of a motherboard, and a better PSU (like the one you mentioned), go for SLI. You could run a really good gaming PC with sli'd 8 series cards.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I will keep that motherboard and PSU in mind.

Out of curiosity about the PSU, its only 40 watts more then the one I have, is 40 watts really that big of a difference?

Also since I wont be able to afford it all at once, will that motherboard be able to support a pentium 4 processor till I can buy the quad?

Thanks.

Edit: Also can that motherboard support 2 nvidia 8600gt's? because if it can I plan on buying another later on.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I am currently looking for stuff to upgrade my gaming pc. This is the stuff I was considering getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Will this still work well with gaming or would you recommend something else?
Also will this stuff and my 8600gt graphics card work on a 460 watt power supply or will I have to upgrade that to?

Thanks.
EVGA makes a nice board but I would not be using an Intel cpu and Nvidia chipset. Much safer to use a board with an Intel chipset.

·
Registered
287 Posts
you most probebly wouldnt notice the difference tbh. i use an intel cpu with an nvidia chipset.
just for *non overclockers* the intel chipsets are far more stable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So would the one I picked be good then? it seemed to have slightly better reviews then the other one mentioned. Also since I cant afford the intel quad at the same time as the motherboard, will that motherboard support a intel pentium 4?

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
So would the one I picked be good then? it seemed to have slightly better reviews then the other one mentioned. Also since I cant afford the intel quad at the same time as the motherboard, will that motherboard support a intel pentium 4?
If you mean the EVGA remember that is socket 775 and 1066 fsb and 1333 fsb and I don't think P4 came above 800 Fsb. It would support the Pentium D chips though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would it be good to go with though? I wasn't planning on having to buy a power supply so right now the cheaper the better for me. Also I have another question that I think was skipped in one of my above posts "Out of curiosity about the PSU, its only 40 watts more then the one I have, is 40 watts really that big of a difference?".

·
Registered
260 Posts
A "650W" PSU that costs only $90?

I'd steer clear away from it. Anyways, the 8600GT doesn't require a powerful PSU, so you don't have to worry about that.

My thoughts: You're buying a $250 motherboard, and trying to skimp on a PSU. Not good.

Also, a single 8800GT is LEAPS ahead of 2 x 8600GT cards. Let alone, hassle free, since SLi is still very sloppy.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
A "650W" PSU that costs only $90?

I'd steer clear away from it. Anyways, the 8600GT doesn't require a powerful PSU, so you don't have to worry about that.

My thoughts: You're buying a $250 motherboard, and trying to skimp on a PSU. Not good.

Also, a single 8800GT is LEAPS ahead of 2 x 8600GT cards. Let alone, hassle free, since SLi is still very sloppy.
Yeah but the usual is a $350 video card and a $50 motherboard so this is better. Buy an Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake psu over 400 watts, that is all you need and the rest of your pc will thank you by not blowing up one day!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.