Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it for someone who knows nothing about programming/IT,etc to install a server-side script? Could someone explain what is involved?

Thanks
colin72

BTW, I am looking into having someone write a server-side script that I need and at this point I am not sure what programming language the script will be. I don't know if the type of programming language makes a difference in how the script is installed. Are all server-side scripts installed the same way?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
They are pretty much all installed in the same manner, IE FTP's to your server, then an executable install file is run, or manual editing of a config file is done to match your server settings and database settings.
You then have to set up permission for some pages and or folders for the script to run (Windows servers are far fussier than Linux or others for setting permissions)

As far as the difficulty, it depends completely on the person creating the script's knowledge of the language or functions he is coding it in and the server it is being installed on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This question will show how very little I know about installing server-side scripts.

The "Server" that I would FTP the script to- what server is that?

For example, I have DSL with Embarq. Does Embarq have the server I install the script on?

I also have domains and web space hosted by 1and1. Does 1and1 have the server I install the script on?

Sorry for my ignorance but I really do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The "Server" that I would FTP the script to- what server is that?

For example, I have DSL with Embarq. Does Embarq have the server I install the script on?

I also have domains and web space hosted by 1and1. Does 1and1 have the server I install the script on?
Sorry for my ignorance but I really do appreciate the help.
You would FTP the scripts to the 1&1 web host server. Your web server allows you to run scripts, your ISP (Embarq) servers do not.
Embarq probably gives you webspace for personal pages (included in your DSL package) but they wont allow scripts so they are useless.

1&1 has Linux and Windoze web server packages. Linux your scripts can be coded in php, Windoze can be in asp and php. (many others compatible as well, these are the most common script types) both run MySQL databases.
Clearer?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
7,154 Posts
Linux your scripts can be coded in php, Windoze can be in asp and php. (many others compatible as well, these are the most common script types) both run MySQL databases.
Clearer?
Not to me. :) On a server running Linux, scripts can be in a plethora of languages, including PHP. On a server running Windows, scripts can be in a plethora of languages, including PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) and ASP (Active Server Pages). Perl is another language that is commonly used for server-side scripting.

What purpose do you want the script to serve, colin72?

Peace...

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Not to me. :) On a server running Linux, scripts can be in a plethora of languages, including PHP. On a server running Windows, scripts can be in a plethora of languages, including PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) and ASP (Active Server Pages). Perl is another language that is commonly used for server-side scripting.

Peace...
I reiterate my original comments...
Sequal7 said:
(many others compatible as well, these are the most common script types)
Since he is not well versed on what a script is, there is no need to go into exotics in my opinion....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Peace...
I need a server-side script to catch Indian (.in and .co.in) domain names. I know there are people who have written their own but they use them and aren't going to sell one to me. I need to find a programmer who I can pay to write the script. I have an ad on a freelance script site but so far I haven't gotten any responses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by "catch"?

Peace...
Catch means register. When a domain that has been registered is not renewed, it goes though a process leading up to it's release. When it is released, it becomes available to be registered by anyone. I can calculate the release date of a domain I want and I know the exact time of day it is released. A script like the one I am looking for allows someone to enter the domain name they want and the script will attempt to register ("catch") the domain immediately when it becomes available ("drops"). The script has to catch the domain the second it drops because other people have scripts that are also trying to catch the domain.

There are two kinds of scripts that people have, server-side and client-side. Server-side is quicker than a client-side script. A split second makes a HUGE difference.

I've learned all this after researching the subject. Basically, I know what I need but I have absolutely no programming knowledge to make it myself. I believe most people use Perl to make the script but I'm not positive.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
7,154 Posts
Ok, I'm tracking with you now. :) From the HTML side, you'll need a HTML form where someone enters their domain and that domain will be sent to a server for later use. PHP could be used for the form and the PHP script on the server could store the domain to be registered somewhere (in a file, in a database, etc). Then, a "register" script would read the stored domain and do whatever is needed to register it.

Not having thought about this any except to type what I'm typing, I'm thinking you'll want two scripts: one to receive the domain to register and one to do the actual registration. My gut tells me using Perl for the registration script would be cool since Perl is often used for these kinds of tasks. I'm sure the same could be done using PHP but I think using PHP to process the form where the domain(s) are entered is the best course of action.

Of course, I have no experience with Perl and very little with PHP so I can't be of much help. :(

Peace...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.