Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this new computer a few months ago and the monitor makes this buzzing sound every so often, not a lot but at least once a day or so. I already had to exchange one of them because the display wasn't working right and now this one is doing this. Is this normal or not? By the way, its a Compaq 7550 Monitor, 17" in size. I hope this helps and I'm running Windows XP if you need that too. Please help me out, thanks!

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Monitors aren't supposed to "buzz" :D

Might be a bad power supply or diode. If you are sure that you have it set up correctly then I would return it ASAP (and make sure your hands aren't wet when you unplug it :p ) :eek:

Did you buy it at a store, or over the net? If it's at a store, see if the stores demo unit "buzzes". It shouldn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it from Best Buy here in Mishawaka, IN. Yeah I use this Cyberpower Surge Protector which helps if the electric goes off so you can turn off the computer safely. This is the 2nd monitor I've had from Compaq that was faulty, what is up with that? Are they making stuff really cheap now or something? I thought Compaq was supposed to be better than Emachines. I just had a Emachine a few years ago and thought this brand would be better but obviously not! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Originally posted by vanillacoke:
I bought it from Best Buy
Hehehe that's funny. I used to be a general manager for Best Buy and we would put the Compaq's on sale on Sunday, and 95% of them would be returned on Monday and Tuesday :p

I use this Cyberpower Surge Protector which helps if the electric goes off so you can turn off the computer safely.
A surge protector is NOT a UPS. A surge protector only guards against things like lightning, and only for a little while. After a few years they "wear-out" and are worthless. A surge protector will not help you if the AC goes off. Do you have a model number for it? I'll check and tell you if it's a surge protector, or a UPS.

Are they making stuff really cheap now or something?
Nope. They've always made stuff cheap. That's why most of them were returned the day after the sale ;)

Personally I would have preferred the e-machine, but they're not all that great either, but still they are better than Compaq IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it is a UPS thing. It came with software too and it has helped me a few times when the electric went out already. I just said it the wrong way but it is a UPS thing.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
OK great :D A UPS is very important to have, and every computer should have one. It also filters out all of the garbage and spikes that's in your AC line so your computer will last longer too :up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.