Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 300 watt (indicated by the label) PSU made by HIPRO.

I'm slightly confused, though. Evidently, this PSU has more amps on the 12v rail than most 350-400 watt PSUs. The label reads:

+5V/25A
+3.3V/18A
+5VSB/2A
+12V/19A
-12V/.8A
Could it maybe be more than 300 watts? The only 300 watt PSUs I have ever seen have only 12A or 13A on the 12volt rail. Also, would this be ample to run a 6600GT? Currently running:

3.0 Ghz P4 Prescott w/2MB L2 Cache
1 250gig Maxtor Harddrive
2 USB Devices
1 CPU Fan and 1 Case Fan
(2x512) PC3200 DDR-SDRAM
NO Floppy Drive
1 CD-Rom Drive
1 CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive

·
Registered
302 Posts
well if that is right then you may be able to run a 6600GT but i dont recomend trying it. my old Antec 350watt Smaret Blue had 18 amps on 12v but i didnt risk it and got a 480 True Blue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to upgrade my PSU, especially after I acquire the funds, but I don't know where to start.

I have a Micro-ATX case and MoBo, and I'll assume a M-ATX PSU. I chatted with an HP technician, who was actually pretty helpful, but said they didn't have the dimensions of my HiPro (Model #: HP-D3057FER) on file. As far as I can tell, the PSU spans the width of my M-ATX case, with about a half-an-inch on each side to spare. I have heard that many ATX PSUs fit in a M-ATX case, but can't find any details, save reviews on Newegg.com .

Searching through the M-ATX PSUs on Newegg leaves me abit disenheartened. The only step-up in Watt is 60 bucks, a brand I've never heard of, and lower DC Outputs. The next best is 80 bucks, which is abit more than I'd like to spend currently.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got down in my case and roughly measured (with a ruler) the dimensions of my current PSU:

(L x W x H) inches
6.875 x 5.3125 x 3.3125

I'm not sure how this stacks up against ATX and Micro sizes. I'd like to throw in an ATX, but I only have about 1.75 inch leeway room between my current PSU and my CD-Drives. These are rough measurements, so they could be off, but shouldn't be off too much.

[Edit] I really had to wing the measurements. I didn't remove the PSU from the case, so I was left sorta guestimating where-abouts it started and ended. I hope they're somewhat close to ATX size. If they're larger, all the better, I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.