Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Today when I took my laptop out of hibernation, I attempted to recive my email.

Durring the proscess an error occured stating that one the file was corrupted and the system must run chkdsk

The system either crashed or I shut it down, Im not sure since I had just woke up, and was pretty freeked out.

Anyway, Chkdsk said that it deleted a bad pst related index

now when I oppened outlook it said it couldnt find my pst

so i proceeded to un hide my files and look, none Found!

So then i downloaded a trial version of a recovery program it found Recoverd_PST_1 in c:\Lost Files\ this program claims the pst is about 213 megs which sounds about right

is there a way i can recover this file without droping the $250 on this program to make the demo active, is there a freeware solution or something cheaper

is this gonna work anyway or is my data really lost?

I so appreciate any help!!!

Thanks in advance,

al

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
There are freeware programs that do recovery. 213 megs could be why it was corrupted. That is too big. If it was corrupted, it will still be corrupted when you undelete it. Even if you succeed.

Restoration. Freeware. Fits on a floppy. Don't use your laptop. Download with another computer. If the portion of the hard drive where the PST files reside get written over, you won't be able to recover them.

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
213 MB is a large PST file? I agree that large files increse the probability of corruption but that is not an excessively large file.
have you done a thourough search of your hard drive for *.pst and for files created or modified within a date parameter?

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
The hard cutoff by MS is I believe something like 2 gigs.

But that's kinda like asking what is a minimum hardware configuration for good performance. There is no absolute cutoff point.

But I have quite a few customers with PST files well in excess of a 200 meg PST file with no problems whatsoever. These are both local and network stored files.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your help, unfortunatly only one recovery application seems able to find rements of what is looking to be my PST file. Unfortunatley this application is very expensive and there is no guarantee it will work. Does anyone have any recomendations or a cheaper way to recover my PST file? Much appreciated

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
i export/import the windows address book to a floppy as a csv file. it's nice and small and easy to work with.

see if you still have the wab.

my outlook pst file is under 4m with 125 people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.