Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my laptop, the first 10 minutes, all programs will start up really slow. This includes the explorer process. It uses 5 minutes for explorer to be loaded fully. Once processes are loaded fully, they work at regular speed.. It's so weird, and I have no idea how this happened or how to remove it. Did anyone experience the same, and do you have a solution?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,465 Posts
Although there are other possibilities, it's probably just a startup issue. Go to MSCONFIG and check what programs you have in the startup list (4th tab from the right, fiddling the others could seriously wreck havoc on your system). Odds are you've got some software loading up at boot that doesn't need to, and that's slowing down the system. In general you want to keep your AntiVirus, Windows Defender, any added hotkey programs, or similar things that you do need to keep running, but if something like Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Office is preloading you can turn it off. And of course anything you know for sure you don't and won't use you can take out and uninstall permenently.

Don't worry about not being able to use Office, Acrobat, etc--the program will start normally when you want to use it. The difference is it starts WHEN you need it, not two hours before when what you want is to hop onto the Web but instead have to wait for half a dozen other programs to load, and watch them guzzle down your RAM and Processor Time.

Other possibilities might be driver or registry damage or of course Viruses, but startup's the first place I'd check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not completely new. I've checked startup programs, and I've monitored processes to see if anything unusual was taking up the cpu or ram. Nothing.

Its really well hidden and I just cant figure it out. I'll try to start in secure mode and Ill report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.