Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my computer began to run slower that normal today, as I was attempting to burn a CD using Roxio easy cd creater 5.0 platnium. Anyways I turned on Norton utilities 2002 system doctor and observed that my processor was peaked out at 100%. I closed all open tasks and system doctor began to show it going back an forth from 15% to 100% and back down again. I also noticed that my cursor was showing the sign as if the computer was busy doing something. Ran a full system scan for viruses last night and it found none. Using Norton Anti-virus 2002 updated. Is my processor going out. Usaually shows 0% on system doctor when nothing is being done. I also thought it might be heat related, so I removed the side case and the fan is running, but it continued to fluctuate.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Your cpu should max out at 100% when you are doing something... sometimes even with real small tasks it will... but other than that it usually will still be over 0%... but somewhere around 10% or so. I have a 1.5 Ghz and it never is at 0%. When I do something it jumps to 100% right away and then immediately drops back to about 10% and stays there until I tell it to do something else. However if you are getting 100% usuage when doing absolutely nothing or it flucuates when doing nothing then there might be a problem... but I don't know... maybe someone else does... As to why you are getting slow performance... check you ram and make sure it is all acounted for.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Are you saying that the computer just slows down while you are burning? You use a lot of CPU cycles to burn, but not usually 100%. Are you engaging Burn-Proof?

If you have Win9x/ME you can download WinTop to see what is going on when the hourglass shows – that is indeed a sign of CPU activity. http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm

There are freeware programs that give a lot more information but WinTop will tell you what is going on with small overhead and a program of less than 30k. You will find that WinTop will show something activating and taking a good bit of CPU cycles at the same time the hourglass activates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.