Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.2Ghz AMD processor that only seems to be running at 2Ghz presently. My mobo is a GA-K8NSC-939, I have 1.5Gb of DDR 400 RAM on board and I am running XP SP2. I have tried a couple of things in BIOS - (ie loaded optimal performace settings) but these have made no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
banisters_mind said:
Would I be able to alter the power saving option in control panel or would I need to go into BIOS to make an adjustment?
I'm not sure bout that,but what I do know is that CPUs will run at a lower clock speed when idling and will run at normal speed when under usage.How do you find out your CPU is running at 2 Ghz in the first place?Use that same method to find out whether your CPU is running at that speed all the time.And what model do you have?Last I read only the Opteron and one 64x2 model have a default clock speed of above 3 Ghz....:confused:

·
Super Moderator
46,574 Posts
You may have cool & quiet enabled in the bios. You can either disable it OR run an app that will stress the cpu. For dual cores, I use prime2004 Check the cpu speed when running p2004.

Next it would help if you posted exact system specs ie make and model of mb, what cpu is installed, etc.

I hope you are not referring to a 3200+ that is running @2.0 gig since the only amd64 that runs @ 3.2 is the 6400+

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor. When I bring up my hardware configuration (right click on My Computer) it shows an AMD Athlon processor 3200+ then underneath that it show 2.01Ghz then 1.5Gb RAM.

If you are telling me that my processor will not run at 3.2Ghz, then are you saying that I got ripped off?

BTW I installed a 1024Mb stick of DDR400 RAM just yesterday (adding to the 512Mb I already have). Will this affect the processor speed in any way? I have this sneaking suspicion that I never saw the 2.01Ghz in the hardware configuration before now so I am wondering if adding more RAM would have done something...?

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
what does it say when you click system in control panel?

·
Registered
458 Posts
banisters_mind said:
My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor. When I bring up my hardware configuration (right click on My Computer) it shows an AMD Athlon processor 3200+ then underneath that it show 2.01Ghz then 1.5Gb RAM.
I was wondering about that until I checked your mobo
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...board&ProductID=1881&ProductName=GA-K8NSC-939

There is no fx64 (an fx60 and fx62), it says "Socket 939 for AMD Athlon64/ 64 FX " Which means it will accept an athlon 64 or a 64fx. You have the Athlon 64 3200+ which DOES run at 2Ghz.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Don't get so hung up about processor speed.
It look like the fastest they offer is 2.8GHz.
Bump your memory to the max, get a good video card and you'll be just fine for most computing tasks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh for sure, I have a half decent vid card, and RAM is cheap right now so I'll follow your advice. Possibly look at a higher CPU in the future...

...I guess that leads me to ask the inevitable next question, would there be any benefit in overclocking my CPU? If so, how would I do this without ruining my system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.