Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some help. My family has a computer with a jammed A drive. There's an external floppy hooked up to it, though. I'm trying to reformat the hard drive because they got the computer from a friend that left a bunch of stuff they don't need on it, so they can start with a clean slate. But I have not been able to get it to read from the B driver (the external floppy) so I can get to the command prompt and format the hd. I've tried to get it to boot from the D drive also, but no success. Win2k just continues to boot right up and I can't get to a command prompt without being in it. I've tried to format while in Win2k, but no success there either. What can I do??

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Win2k should boot from the cdrom to format and install, just set the boot order to cdrom first, save the changes then reboot with the cd in the drive.

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Tp enter the bios restart the pc and on the very first screen it should tell you which key to press to enter setup..usually del or f2..Then look for the boot order and set it cdrom first. Press esc then f10.Insert the w2k cdrom in the drive and reboot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took me a couple days before I could finally try your suggestions, and unfortunately it's still not booting from the cd. Win2k keeps booting up like the cd isn't even in there. What else can I do? I really don't want to have to pay to have this comp reformatted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've opened it up to try to see how hard it would be and I got stuck. I followed the instructions that came with it in regards to opening it up but I was not able to budge the floppy drive after removing all the screws I needed to to get at it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes. If you can get the drive out (it might be stuck in the front bezel and you'll have to do a little encouraging), replace it. I think they are about $14 or so, or you can probably pick up a used one for less the $5.

Recheck the BIOS. I haven't heard of one where you can't select the boot device. Even my very old 386 machine's BIOS has that as well as the ability to switch the bootable floppy between its 5 1/4 inch drive (who sees those these days) and the standard 3 1/2.

If you can find where you can change the BOOT order, it will probably be in the 1st or 2nd section of your Setup.

Another option, if you can't get that drive out, is to disconnect it entirely. Borrow or buy a new one and plug in its controller cable and power cable. Then you should be able to boot from a floppy in the new device. (You might have to put a book or something under it so it won't be dangling in the air).

If that works, then agressively go after getting the old drive out, so you can put in the new one.

Another thing to do is try a different IDE cable. Yours may be broken.

As far as can you make a boot from W98. Yes, as has been said. From W98 go to the section where it asks if you'd like to create a boot disk, say "yes," and proceed.

But the W98 boot is only going to work on a FAT file system, which you will have made on the hard drive by using FDISK to set the partitions then format the drive (you'll want to format them to FAT32).

It will not work to boot a machine that has an NTFS file system on the Hard drive.

Bob T.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.