Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to login to my work computer remotely from home using Remote Desktop for Windows XP. Both host and client computers are running Windows XP. At work, we have a LAN consisting of about 24 computers, protected by a Sonicwall firewall. I have set the Sonicwall to receive on port 3389 for my host computer's ip address, and have confirmed with Sonicwall that I have done this correctly. I am also certain that my work computer is setup correctly (with Windows firewalls & etc.) to accept a remote desktop connection. I can use Remote Desktop without problem from within the LAN. From home, it is my understanding that I need to login via Remote Desktop using the WAN ip of the Sonicwall, and the username and password of the computer on the LAN that will be my host. From within the LAN on a client computer I simply enter the name of the computer from within the network, and the username and password of that computer. However, from outside the LAN, I need: the ip address of the Sonicwall to access the LAN, the name of the host computer on the LAN I am trying to access, the username on this computer to login to, and the password. Remote Desktop does not allow for this many fields/options. I cannot login from outside the LAN using only the WAN ip address of the Sonicwall and the username and password of the host computer, because I need a
place to tell Remote Desktop which computer on the LAN I am trying to get to. If anyone has a solution for this, it would be very much appreciated.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
You don't tell Remote Desktop which computer on the Lan you want to remote into. You Forward network traffic on Port 3389 on your Sonic Wall to the LAN ip address of your computer at work. At home you just use the WAN IP address, Username and Password. That is it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.