Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 programs that would not load ( Acrobat reader, real player and quicktime). A tech guy I new suggested deleting all keys in the resigtry and then trying to reload the programs. I did with Acrobat reader and it solved the problem and reader works fine. I tried it with real player and quick time and ALL the registrykeys will delete except those found in
KKEYLOCAL Machine\software\classes\microsoft\windows\ininstall\ then quictime or realplayer etc

a. any idea why they wont delete?
b. any idea how to force then to delete?
c. any other suggestions on getting those programs to work?

the error I get is "error while opening key"

I tried to reinstall windows at www.windowsreinstall.com but my recovery disk says it is outdated so I cannot reinstall or repair my registry unless you know a way to get that done too.

any help..... will be eternally grateful...............

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Are you sure you have that registry path copied correctly?

Or do you mean this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

What is the error you get when trying to reinstall the programs? The "uninstall" key in the registry is not likely to be a problem -- these are just entries in Add/Remove programs.

The "error when opening key" message is usually a permissions issue -- but you shouldn't get it when deleting from the key above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re you sure you have that registry path copied correctly?

Or do you mean this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

What is the error you get when trying to reinstall the programs? The "uninstall" key in the registry is not likely to be a problem -- these are just entries in Add/Remove programs.

The "error when opening key" message is usually a permissions issue -- but you shouldn't get it when deleting from the key above.

I copied and pasted this time

The correct Key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickTime

If I try to delete it I get an error that says "Cannot delete quicktime : Error while deleting Key.

If I try to change the permissions I get and error that says "You do not have permission to view the current Permission Settings for Quicktime, but you can make permission changes"

When I go to the Permissions screen I cannot make changes but perhaps I am doing something incorrectly.

---- The error I get when attempting to install is: "Could not open Key: then it lists the above key....Verify you have sufficient access to that key" When I click ok it says " Error 1603:Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information"

Any ideas???????

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I've never seen that happen in that particular key, especially for a specific program only.

Are you sure you are logged in with Administrative rights? If you are you should be able to right click on the quicktime key, select permissions and give "everyone" full control. This usually overcomes any permissions errors in the registry if the user is logged on with Administrative rights in the first place.

See also:

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q111019

If all else fails, try using the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (link on the above page) and identify any listed programs which are causing problems and remove the residues with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a thought ... go into your running processes (Alt + Ctrl + Delete) and make sure 'part' of quicktime isn't being used by the computer, if it is, then end the process and try again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am certain I am logged in with administrative rights. I also logged in as administrator and get the same errors.

When i right click on the key in question and select permissions and try to give "everyone" full control I get an error that says "unable to save permission changes on quicktime access is denied". NO matter what I have tried I can never save any permission changes.

by the way this happens not only with quicktime but real player and real jukebox which are giving me the same errors as quicktime.

I went to the link you provided (thanks) and there were NO quicktime, realplayer or any other affected program issues identified with that cleanup utility so it did not help.

I also went into the running processes and there are no "parts" being used by the computer either.

Bottom line is I cannot change anything about the affected key and can't remove it and that key appears to be the issue.

Any more ideas? thanks

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
The only other time I have seen a similar issue it appeared to be caused by file system damage on the drive which affected the registry keys.

You might try running chkdsk on the drive. Also examine the event viewer (run eventvwr.msc) and see if there are any further errors being logged there that might shed some more light.

I think what jym is suggesting is that you save the registry key as a hive, then load the hive (don't import it). You may be able to make the change in the loaded hive, save it back, unload the loaded hive, and then import it from the save. It's a complex operation and I have never tried it personally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok

I tried exporting - backing up- the registry. I could not .. I get error saying "Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes"

Therefore since I cant save it I cant change it.

I ran chkdsk - no errors or fixes. All checked out there.

I ran eventvwr.msc - there are 62 errors showing. Of those that had anything to do with quicktime (4 of the 62) the wording was identical to the above referenced errors. It also added Error 5 to the string (if that is in any way significant). I click on the link in the error message to microsoft support and they indicated they have no idea what is going on and to contact system administrator whatever that means.

The whole loading of the hive thing is too complicated for my computer skills so I am not certain if I would be up to doing that without a ton of help.

Any other suggestions short of throwing the computer out the window?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you just tried to re-install quicktime then uninstall it? If you do it this way, you should be able to get rid of any keys that are hanging out because it will be out of the uninstall database.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
That's a lot of errors to see in the Event Viewer. Can you just try a normal boot and copy the recent ones associated with just that boot? You can do that by double clicking them to view their description and then using the double-paper copy icon to copy them to a notepad file.

After you've done, or before if you want, try booting in Safe Mode, log into the built in Administrator account (not your normal user account) and see if any of the registry editor issues change.

Note that after a Safe Mode boot, some errors in the event viewer are "normal" -- DCOM entries and some "service control" entries are always left by Safe Mode boots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. I cannot uninstall something that is not installed so I am no certain how to accomplish that suggestion unless I am misreading what Jym said.

2. I did both a normal boot and safe mode boot as administrator. None of the registry issues change at all. Attached are the errors from eventvwr.msc

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11402
Date: 2/7/2006
Time: 10:37:49 AM
User: OFFICE\Ted
Computer: OFFICE
Description:
Product: QuickTime -- Error 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickTime. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 39 32 39 34 30 38 45 {929408E
0008: 36 2d 44 32 36 35 2d 34 6-D265-4
0010: 31 37 34 2d 38 30 35 46 174-805F
0018: 2d 38 31 44 31 44 39 31 -81D1D91
0020: 34 45 32 41 34 7d 4E2A4}
--------------------------------------

Time: 9:30:26 AM
User: OFFICE\Administrator
Description:
Product: QuickTime -- Error 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickTime. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
-------------------------------------------

Time: 9:26:30 AM
User: OFFICE\Ted
Description:

Data:

-----------

Date: 2/5/2006
Time: 2:57:17 PM
User: OFFICE\Administrator
Description:

Data:

-------------------------

also keep in mind I have the same errors with Real Player too so don't know if the problem is systemic or not.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Are you having any other errors of a similar nature when using the msi installer?

Will that key let you edit or rename it?

It might be worthwhile trying a different registry editor, such as registrar lite:

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Microsoft flags that 1402 error as due to registry damage. Unfortunately the only "fixes" they have are for WinME and 98.

I doubt it will make any difference but you could try a command line tool to delete the key:

http://www.petri.co.il/reg_command_in_windows_xp.htm

I think the command should look like this:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Quic kTime

This is all one line with no break in the actual key

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, is there a resolution to this issue? I have almost the same issue, only I can't install Office 2003 SP2, and I have an issue with Acrobat Reader and Media Player. Please help! Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.