Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows XP Pro SP2/Athlon 2600+

Last few days my computer has started messing about particularly with image handling - Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop both no longer load (clicking on them launches the windows installer program), I cant uninstall them as it looks for files that it cant find and if I try and reinstall I get errors telling me to uninstall first!!!

Also right clicking on an image in explorer now takes a good 30 seconds to bring up the menu to allow me choose a different program to open it with. Browsing to any folder with images in it takes an age and even going to the start menu location containing the shortcuts takes forever - also the Photoshop shortcut and program now just has the default windows program icon rather than the proper Photoshop one. The applications are both there - I have Adobe Image Ready installed, however with no problems. Photoshop 7 and PSP 8 are the only programs affected but overall there is a noticeable system slowdown.

Im running XP Pro and have got a load of programs running to protect my PC (AVG, Zone Alarm, HW firewall on router, Win Patrol etc). I have done a full virus scan and found nothing, ran AdAware and SpyBot and removed everything they found and rebooted but it still happens. Also ran cwshredder and hijack this and numerous other programs which claim to diagnose and fix dll errors which is what I reckon it is but to no avail!! Also have shut every process down which isnt critical and which the system will allow me to shut down and it still exists so I dont think its a program causing the problem. Oh and like a ******* I had system restore switched off!

I have had a look thru startup items and running processes and none of them seem to be untoward. I have tried to search on google but have no idea what phrases to use to describe whats happening!

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone seen it before? Any suggestions before I resort to a rebuild?

Thanks

Jase

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.