Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a link to this forum in another I was at so decided to come here and try to find some help. I bought a brand new computer from Dell at the end of Oct 2003. Since the first day I started using it, I have been having the following problems. Btw, I have called Dell Tech Support but found them very unhelpful. Ok, here are my system specs first. Windows XP, Pentium IV 3.06 ghz processor with HT, 120 gig harddrive, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with 128 mb memory, 1 gig of Ram.

Now the problems: I have trouble when downloading zipped files and moving files around on my pc. I thought it was just with downloading files but that is not the problem because this happens even when I am just dragging and dropping files from one folder to another. After so many times of dragging and dropping files my computer will lock up. I will not be able to open up any more windows or folders, I am not able to close down the folders I am working with, and I sometimes get an error message, sometimes I get nothing. I end up restarting the computer from the start menu (if it lets me). After the reboot, my computer works fine again until I start moving files around or downloading things and puttting them in the correct folders. The error messages I have received are:

Could not complete the operation due to error 8007ffff (I usually get this one when I try to right click or open a new window after these problems start to occur)

I also receive messages that I am out of memory although I use a program called cacheman and it says I have 700 mb of memory free. I do not ever run out of memory doing anything else. I can have as many windows or programs open as I want as long as I am not downloading files or moving files around on my pc. I know this is a strange problem but I have never used Windows XP before getting this computer so I am hoping that the problems I am having might have to do with something in the settings somewhere and that maybe someone with more experience with Windows XP canhelp me.

Thank you for reading this and trying to help! I understand if you have no idea what to tell me. I may end up just taking it in to a computer store here and having them look at it. Thought I would try asking around at different places first though. So far no one has been able to help me though. Thanks again! And sorry this was so long!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Fist, let me say "nice box!" I can't imagine you're exhausting your memory with a gig or so.

What happens if you were to select the (zipped) folder and move it, via Edit > Move-To-Folder option? Also, have you tried using the System File Checker? ( Start > Run and copy sfc /scannow then run it.) Have your OS/CD ready.

EDIT:

One more question. Are you dragging/dropping zipped files, one right after another?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
First, I'd dump Cacheman and return all your settings to default. The NT kernel manages memory very well. Cacheman used to be of some help to me in Win98 with low memory, but that is certainly not your situation.

You might also look in your anti-virus settings to see if there is an auto file scan feature that you can turn off. That may slow file movement.

And, in Folder Options, View tab, clcik on "Launch Folder Windows in a Separate Process". This will start a second instance of explorer for file management and you may not lose your shell when this problem occurs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, this sounds good! I will try this! Yeah, I was used to using cacheman because I had Windows ME before and always low on memory. But I do think that a gig of memory should be sufficient for almost anything. ;) Thanks for your help!

Edit: Oops! I missed your post jnibori! Yes, I usually download zipped files for my game and drag and drop the file one after another. And yes I have tried the sfc /scannow thing before after someone's suggestion but it didn't seem to help me any. I can't even remember what it found or what it did, I just recall following the instructions they gave me. Maybe, I should try that again too?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
How large are the files that you are moving?
If you are trying to move another file (Large) before the first one is finished, you could very well run out of memory to "buffer" it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.