Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A few days ago my removeable [USB] media drive burped for some reason while playing music in iTunes.

Evidently when it did it hosed the file sctructure in my iTunes music folder on that drive. Now I am trying to delete those files and Vista is not letting me. When I try I get the following error message:

"The file you specified is not valid or is too long. Specify a different file name".

Looking at the file structure it looks like giberish, with all kinds of characters that are not of the English language.

I've tried deleting them in safe mode and had no luck there. I even ran Scandisk and that didn't help.

Next I tried uninstalling iTunes (no luck), CCleaner, and Glary's Utilities.

Any other options?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
copy the whole drive except the one u want to delete onto your computer, format the usb drive, and then put the files back on it
Thanks but before I do that one more question.

I have 110GB's of files backed on that drive backed up on Mozy (online/off site backup). When moving the files from my current drive to a temporary location then back to my original drive, will that cause a change in the file attribute setting(?) and then causing Mozy to think they are all new files to backup?

Does that make sense?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
It makes sense and no I don't think so. test it with one file first tho... try both the copy and the move functions too. most of those softwares look at the date modified attribute. I'm not sure if that will change or not with copy or move so try it first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes sense and no I don't think so. test it with one file first tho... try both the copy and the move functions too. most of those softwares look at the date modified attribute. I'm not sure if that will change or not with copy or move so try it first.
Thanks. I guess I'll give this a try.

Regards,
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.