Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems connecting my dell laptop to my linksys router. I just turned on my laptop and realized that Im not connected. I have had this laptop for almost 2 years now and never had a problem before connecting to the router. When I go to the Wireless Network connection Properties its shows my router there but it has a red X next to it. I am connected through another router at the moment in the area that is also a Linksys. I try to refresh the network list and my router wont appear. I tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in and my laptop is still not finding it. Any idea what could have gone wrong? Why cant my laptop detect my router? :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
You provided scant details - DHCP, SSID broadcasting, etc.
Make sure you only have one router providing DHCP services. Make sure both routers aren't using the same channel if there's a chance a client could see them both.
More details -->> more suggestions :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I dont know much about networking. It is a SSID. I have the Network authentication set on "open" The data encryption is set on "WEP". I have it secured so no one can use it.. My laptop is just not picking up the signal anymore for some reason. I didnt change any settings it just stopped recieving a signal from my router. I dont know what else I can say to help solve the problem.... What other information would you need? I was wondering, under the authentication tab, does enable IEEE 802.1x authtentication for this network have to be checked off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You talked about a second router operating in the same area that you can connect to. Does your laptop see that second one and connect to it? If so, the original might simply have failed.

Again, be careful if you have two routers running concurrently. Better to use just one until you get the problem localized. Could you describe that situation in more depth?

Alternatively is there another laptop available to compare results?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in a apartment building. I am connecting to someone elses router in the building Im guessing. I connected to it myself. I did this only to see if the problem was my laptop or not. My laptop is showing me a bunch of wireless networks that are in range. Most are secured but one isnt (the one I connected to to see if the problem was my laptop's wireless card). When I click on "view wireless network connections" I dont see my router on that list anymore. I only have one router. I own a pc and a laptop and I use my laptop wireless only. If my router failed what do i do to fix it? Like I said previously.. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that didnt seem to do anything. The lights on my router seem to be working normal. The internet light on my router seems to be flashing not sure if thats normal or not.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
does the wired pc work?

check when you "view wireless networks" add a new one, with wep key.
then try without wep.

change router ch, i use 11.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now I understand your wireless scenario.

It is possible though unlikely that somebody else in your neighborhood has just brought up a new router that is conflicting with yours. As bearone2 suggests, you might change the channel on your router to test this. You shouldn't have to mess with the WEP key, though, as you've been running with it enabled for a while. incorrect WEP certainly wouldn't make your router invisible. Turning off broadcast would, of course, but you said you didn't change the configuration of the router, right?

Another thing - not wishing to insult your intelligence - is to make sure, if you see many networks, that you've scrolled to see them all. Make sure, also, that your laptop is not automatically connecting to the first network it sees - that being not your network.

Sorry, but at this point my money is still on your router being toast. You don't fix them, you run over them as you drive off to buy a new one ;-)

The flashing lights are probably good: they indicate activity. But that's no good if the transmitter in the router is dead.

One last idea - if you can bring up your router's admin page via a wired connection, look at the DHCP "leases granted" page, if there is one, to see if an IP address has been assigned to the laptop. I suspect it hasn't, but it wouldn't hurt to see if it sees your laptop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. My laptop is set to automatically connect to my router only. The others have to be done manually. How would you go about changing the channel on the router? I will look into these and get back to you to see if it works.Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Assuming you know how to bring up the web pages on the router (usually typing something like "192.168.1.1" - the first "1" may be something else, depending on the mfr - into your browser) there will be a "wireless" section somewhere at the top menu level.
The manual for the router will tell you that. Get if online from the mfr if you've mislaid it.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
butterflikissies said:
Thank you for the info. My laptop is set to automatically connect to my router only. The others have to be done manually. How would you go about changing the channel on the router? I will look into these and get back to you to see if it works.Thanks again.
if you can get to the router setup page mentioned earlier, clicking "wireless" at the top gets you to the page where you can change the channel.

i don't understand why the laptop connects automatically but other machines need to be configured manually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think what she's saying, bearone2, is that her laptop is configured to connect to her own network (router) automatically, but not configured to connect to any other available networks automatically, which is just as she'd want it to be.

I don't think she's saying her other computer(s) have to connect to her network manually.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
i'm not sure if internet or sharing files was the issue on the other computers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.. lol I just noticed something interesting. I unplugged my router as I was connected to the "linksys" connection I was talking about that I thought was someone elses that my laptop was picking up. As I unplugged my router, I lost the "linksys" connection. So, the linksys network I am seeing on my list is my own. But why is it showing it as "linksys" and not what I had named the connection? I had it as my last name. Its not secure anymore its an open network. How do I make it secure again.. and how did this even happen?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks like your router got reset somehow, and all configuration items were set back to default values.
It isn't hard to reconfigure -the manual will give you all the instructions you need better than any one of us can. Be sure to set a password for the router though, and make sure that remote configuration via the Internet is disabled, to make sure that some clown can't come in and mess with your stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess thats what must have happen. Problem is.. I dont have a manual. After I moved I lost a lot of things and that was one of them. I guess I'll have to look for an online manual for linksys. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
instead of the manual, use ez connect at linksys/support.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.