Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a Linksys WRT54GS router for my mother-in-law but I'm having difficulty getting her Toshiba laptop to connect via the wireless network adapter. My Gateway laptop can connect just fine but not so with hers. I have tried every fix I know of but nothing works. Her laptop connected to the network at my house with no problem a few weeks ago, but she just had the hard drive wiped and now it doesn't work on the new router. Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to my own network as it is 500 miles away - so I don't have any way of testing it out on my network since the hard drive was cleaned. If anyone has any suggestions I'd truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, she's using an Atheros AR5001X Mini PCI Wireless network adapter. I can see the wireless network and it has excellent signal strength, but I just can't connect.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd start by disabling encryption to get it running, then enable it as a separate step.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bet you've already checked all of the obvious stuff...workgroup name, shared drives and local accounts that match, haven't you? So, is the laptop pulling an ip from the router? Can you ping the other computer? Is there a firewall that needs to be configured?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked all the obvious stuff that I know of, but there's definitely something I'm missing - I just don't know what :) . I am able to get at IP from the router on my laptop, but I can't ping it from her laptop (I can from mine of course). I have configured the firewall for the network but that doesn't seem to be an issue either. I feel like I'm floundering here.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
On the non-working laptop, let's see this:

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
--- or ---
For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.