Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have newish computer with ASUS MB.. thunderbird processor, 128MB Ram, AGP Video Card.. am running Win95B

am having difficulties with it recognising new PCI cards.. and I am wondering if it has to do with IRQ sharing problems. In my MB manual there is a table that looks like this..
Code:
                 Int-A    Int-B    Int-C    Int-D
PCIslot 1        shared
PCIslot 2                 shared
PCIslot 3                          shared
PCIslot 4                                   shared
PCIslot 5                                   shared AGP pro slot     shared
Onboard USB                                 shared
Onboard audio                      shared
Promise ATA               shared
SMBus
does this mean that whatever in is slot one shares an IRQ with the agp video card? what does Int-A mean.. how to they decide what IRQ they will use..

my sound card, an ASOUND Express keeps coming up in conflict with the Programable interupt controller so the computer disables it and I can't install the drivers.. does that mean that the drivers for that card don't support IRQ sharing..??

the cable guys came the other day to hook me up to the free 2 months of highspeed cable internet they offered me but they coudln't get their lan card to work either.. same kind of messages as with my sound card..

thanks for any help you can offer..

Helen

·
Registered
632 Posts
Uninstall all ur cards , start reinstalling them 1 at a time . You may have to do this a few times in differnet orders to get the IRQS to stack properly , its a common problem. Make sure you physically remove the cards from your machine .

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi,

PCI cards talk to PCI bus with those sharable code.(INT-A, INT-B...). PCI bus(or PnP bios) then assigns IRQs to each code.

How do you know your sound card trying to use IRQ2/9(Programable interupt controller)?

The driver is nothing to do with IRQs, it's a hardware thing.

Open System in Control panel, hilite "computer" under device manager tab then click on properties. This will show how IRQs assigned in your computer.

Now, go back to device manager and click on the "+" next to system devices. Find PCI bus and double click.

You can try "use Bios" under setting tab.(bring the "?" to it and see what will happen)

Also check setting under "IRQ steering" tab.

Good Luck,

TJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by tjsudo

>How do you know your sound card trying to use >IRQ2/9(Programable interupt controller)?

first I get a message that says my card has been disabled in hardware.. that I must re-enable it..

when I go to Control Panel/System/Asound Express/Properties/Resources and choose Set Configuration manually, it comes up with conflicting devices list of the programable interupt controller and system speaker.. and shows
resourse setting of I/O Range 0000-007F

I have tried changing these settings with no luck

However, I now think my problem is a bug in Win95 OSR2 but I will go ask about that in the windows forum.. thanks guys. .

Helen

Also check setting under "IRQ steering" tab.

Good Luck,

TJ [/B]

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds as if you haven't installed your motherboard drivers yet. Did you get a cd-rom that came with your MB? I say this because your hardware will not recognize anything on the PCI bus if it doesn't have the drivers to do so.

If you have already installed them. try REinstalling them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.