Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to run a game on my laptop. I already installed, but when I run it, I get an error message that I do not have 256 megabytes of ram. The game is Warhammer 40K: Dawn of war, and my laptop is a windows xp computer that has a sticker on it that says that it has 256 megabytes of ram, but when I check it in system properties, it says that it has 240-ish megs of ram.

Is there any way that I can get my laptop's memory to appear to be larger, via a program or something? Please help!

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
The problem is that you're using a laptop which has integrated video. Integrated video cards use memory from the system as their own, in your case, the integrated video is taking 16MB. 256 - 16 is 240MB, so the system properties are accurate.

Unfortunately, Warhammer requires a 32MB video card to run, along with the 256MB RAM, and since you have a laptop, your video card is not upgradeable. The only way to get it to run properly would be to get a new laptop, or in a desktop computer that meets the requirements.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way that I could make it appear to the game that I have enough ram? I wouldn't mind setting the graphical settings to their lowest, I only care to play the game. I know the term is incorrectly used, but can I "emulate" it to look like I have enough ram?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
It's not that the game needs to 'think' there's enough memory, it's the fact that your card won't be physically capable of running the game anyway. You would have to change settings to beyond their lowest settings in order to be able to play it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.