Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of things going on with my computer and I don't know if they're related but they did seem to join forces about the same time.

I'm running Windows XP - brand new system ordered from Dell in the spring of '03. I'm not sure what info might be helpful so I'm going to error on the side of too much iand run down the entire system's list: Pentium 4 processor @ 2.53GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM @ 333MHz, 30GB hard drive, 250 MB Iomega Zip built in drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 32 MB ATI Rage graphics card, Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH, Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert standard, 16x Max DVD-ROM Drive, CD-RW Drive.

This computer has been the computer illiterate's dream machine up until last summer (note: out of the range of warranty of course!).

The first problem happened this past summer while trying to burn a CD using Roxio Easy CD burner. I've burned a few CD's in the past with very quickly and no problem at all - even for me but the last time I tried I got error messages (sorry, don't remember exactly what it was which wont be much help) but it did seem to be doing *something* after fidgeting around with it for a while. After about 6 minutes (vs. about 6 seconds before) it finished "burning" and I believe there was something along the lines of "done but with errors" (?). Anyway, when trying to play the newly burned CD's, they were either blank or made very strange noises (we thought the CD's themself were bad so we went through a couple of different brands before deciding something must be wrong with the computer - duh).

About the same time while browsing through websites I'm not able to open certain pages within the website. I get an "error on page" message. As an example, while looking for dog crates on Dr. Foster and Smith's website, to find out the size of the crate you have to click on "more information". This is where I get popped with the error message - even though I can click on "frequently asked questions" and "customer comments" which sit right next to "more information" and those pages open up. If I'm shopping for clothes online and want to see a larger image or a different color depending on the website, I get the "error on page" message. Prior to last summer I didn't have this problem. It doesn't completely hamper surfing the web but sometimes it can be pretty frustrating - like trying to order things from Dell on line which I can't do anymore because of this problem.

I spent a good long time on the phone with a Dell technician and after performing a few things he said I'd probably have to start from scratch and re-install everything. I'd really rather not! I've got hundreds of pictures downloaded from my digital camera that I don't know how to save to a CD (which isn't working right anyway), and word files and probably a couple of programs I'm not even sure if I can reinstall... anyway, that seemed like a pretty drastic measure to take (no?). I'd really appreciate help. I can live with my computer the way it is but it'd sure be nice if I didn't have to. I'm also a little worried that there could be a bug slowly starting to corrupt my system - being illiterate is a little scary!

Thanks!
Becky

·
Registered
310 Posts
Howdy in2it
Do you have Ad-AwareSE and Spybot (an Spyblaster) malware protection programmes installed on your computer? and if so, have you recently run them and have they come up with any problems? Provided no-one has "played" with your settings, either a virus,(if you haven't run a decent AV and firewall) or spyware can often be the cause of things suddenly going wrong on a computer for no apparent reason.It could also be worth running HijackThis, if you don't already, and posting a log on this forum. You can download most security programmes you may need from www.majorgeeks.com, I think it is called. If you go to Rollin Rogs Security help tools on the security forum for TSG, you can find most of the tips you will need for securing your machine.
As for the CD burner, I use Nero myself and find it the most hassle free CD burning programme. I have used Roxio but don't find it as user friendly. Could the burner itself be faulty? What brand is it do you know?
Regards
Paula :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you believe I don't know what I have as far as security goes? :eek:

I've been getting a Windows security alert message every time i boot up the computer with something along the lines of "your computer might be at risk (blah, blah, blah)". I have McAfee security center which may have come for free along with the computer but the time ran out - I'm really not sure (do you ever wonder how somebody could use a computer so much and not have a clue what goes on "under the hood"?! - I have to wonder myself! It's like owning a car - I know how to operate it but I don't know how it operates - if you know what I mean!).

Being so ignorant makes me really nervous trying to do anything outside of "getting behind the wheel" on this thing. I don't know which security programs are good or bad or what you might have to know so as not to get into deeper trouble trying to install them. If my computer doesn't know how to do it for me I'm in trouble ;)

Anything special a computer illiterate person might need to know to install any of the security programs mentioned? I'll check out the security forum but kind of doubt I'll feel confident enough to try anything without somebody holding my hand (I'm scared!)

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Howdy in2it,
I wonder if you have java script enabled on your computer? That would cause some of the website problems on your machine but I can check with u on that later. Right, to have your machine running safely on the internet, you really need to have a set few programmes installed that will help keep the nasties and hackers out of your machine. As you have XP running your system, you will find it fairly easy to download and install the programmes you need. Windows XP does a lot of the work for you using things called wizards, that give your troubleshooting and "help" when trying to use new programmes. I hope you have a printer as a lot of these programmes i am going to recommend have usage instructions with them that you could print out and refer to as you go along...(takes deep breath)...as i suggested earlier, under all these forum at TSG, there is a section called Security and Rollin Rog has links to the most useful and necessary programmes you might need.
For a good free Anti Virus, download AVG 7.0.If you subscibe to a computer magazine at all or have access to PC User, they issue CD's with their mags and have a lot of these useful programmes on the Cd to save having long download times if you don't have ADSL or cable internet connection.You will also want a good Firewall, ZoneAlarm free version or for better cover, I have ZoneAlarm Pro in place (can't remember what it cost, I renew yearly)and this comes from Zonelabs.com or on the PC User CD. I also recommend Spyblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE. These programmes keep spyware from infecting your machine.I also use WinPatrol, that tells me what is in my "StartUp"list and what programmes can be safely removed that may be using computer resources unnecessarily, and also alerts me to strange things trying to gain access to my computer.
My main recommendation is that you visit The Security Forum and take guidance from that. I have found it very helpful. If you need to contact me, I think my email addy is in my profile but use your TSG name in the contact line or I might not open the email...for safety reasons!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.