Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP deskjet 3920, connected by USB to a netgear print server. On my network I have a Win98 machine, a EeePC Linux machine, a WinXP Laptop and (until recently) a second Win98 pc. Although the Win98 machines and the WinXP laptop print to the HP printer fine, the EeePC and the Vista machine cannot manage it - they start OK, but the printing just stops halfway through the page. The print spooler seems to be clogged as well. Clearing the fault requires a power down of printer and print server, and restart of Windows.

There is no driver available from HP for Vista - they say use the built in one. There is no help on the HP website for a networked 3920. Also I've had no joy with finding a solution for the Linux machine. This one works reasonably well if I connect it directly using USB, (although in some applications the fixed-size print dialog boxes are too large to be able to enter the print settings required) - so that's what I do - but is that my best bet for the Vista pc as well?

Has anyone come across this or have you any ideas for a solution?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tagware,

Thanks for your assistance. I shall come back to the Linux issue later but I think from memory that I am already using hplip.

Regarding the HP problem on Vista, their support page isn't applicable since it deals only with a USB connected printer. I have already tried following all the steps they outline but with no success. Note that there is no driver for the printer, it uses a built in generic driver in Vista.

Has anyone else used one of these HP 3920's successfully under Vista when using a Netgear print server?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well there will be no network support for the HP 3920 as HP don't support this printer being Networked. One thing they do mention is that the VISTA driver is not as feature rich as the XP one. As the printer works when connected directly via USB?

We are now in an un-support area as far as HP is concerned. These are workaround's that may work.

By what you describe, it sounds like the spooler service is hanging, as it is waiting for a responce that it isn't getting. (i.e is is print part of a page)

What I would be looking for would be the Print property page on the W98 box that works. Looking for obvious differances under Ports and Advanced Tab's.

Can you provide the Netgear Printserver model no? As then I can see how they expect it to talk.

Couple of thing's you could try whilst I'm looking this up.

If you have a VISTA Firewall turned on. Disable it whilst testing this printer as this can interfere with comms.

Failing that, try opening the printer property page on VISTA system and select 'Ports' Tab and uncheck the tick next to 'Enable bi-directional support' under print propertise. Then if this fails. Then go to the 'Advanced' tab and select direct printing. If this fails as well. Obviously, put them back as they were.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tagware,

I'll try to work through things one at a time. Hence this may take a little time, but first things first:

The print server is a Netgear PS121. Ethernet input, USB printer connection.

Is it possible that installing the Netgear print server software on the Vista PC might achieve something? It was originally set up using a Windows 98 PC, and then "it just seems to work" on all the other machines on the network.

Now to double check that the printer is OK when directly connected. Back soon.

Alan

1. Just confirmed that the printer is fine by direct USB connection. The printer was installed automatically by Vista and all the options seem to be there - and it printer a test page perfectly.

2. The Windows firewall is turned off but I have McAfee Personal Firewall on. Will now test with that switched off.

3. Turned off McAfee, reconnected printer via print server, started test print: it stops half way through the page as before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi David,

Yes, there are ways to use it, but I prefer if possible to have it on the printserver so that no other PC has to be switched on (for example if someone elsewhere in the house wants to print across the wireless network).

Any ideas how to clear the fault and restart the print spooler without restarting Windows?

Alan

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK, by what you say in
Is it possible that installing the Netgear print server software on the Vista PC might achieve something? It was originally set up using a Windows 98 PC, and then "it just seems to work" on all the other machines on the network.
this sound like it has been setup as a share on the W98 system. Could prove this by shutting down the W98 system and checking that it doesn't start printing.

Anyway, if you follow these instructions then the VISTA system will talk directly to the Netgear. Which is a better way to be as far as I'm concern.

First, find out the IP the Netgear has been given. If you don't know then follow this;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL3lLVGtTNUhq

There are three way to find out the IP if not already know. Option 1 would be quickess.

Once you have got the IP. You need to configure the port as follows;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47

This does not then require you to load the software.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Any ideas how to clear the fault and restart the print spooler without restarting Windows?
Yep!

Select "My Computer" Righthand click the mouse and choose 'Manage'. Once open select 'Services and Applications' then 'Services' scroll down until you see one called "Print Spooler" Click on it then Right click mouse button. Then select 'Restart' or 'Stop'. If you use 'Stop' then reselect it and select 'Start'

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks David,

I find I can turn the spooler on and off (after switching to admin), but it doesn't clear the unprinted document from the list (it is still shown in the printer dialog box as either "error printing" or, if I try to delete it by cancelling the print, "deleting"). So at the moment the only cure seems to be a full shut down and restart of Vista.

Alan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
re. printer port,

I probably mislead by saying "it just worked". That was more or less true on all the other PCs, but on the Vista machine I had to try a lot of things. And one of them was adding a custom TCP/IP port.

So on the printer properties page / ports it has a tick next to port 192.168.xxx.xxx (can't read the "x"s), but I cannot configure it - the buttons "Add Port...", "Delete Port" and "Configure Port..." are all greyed out (yes I am logged in as admin). Likewise I can't change the "Enable bidirectional support" setting.

Perhaps I'd better remove the printer entirely and start again.

OK, tried that. I tried to follow the directions from the Netgear knowledgebase exactly but this wasn't possible. However it did come to a similar page in the "Add standard TCP/IP port wizard", and I entered the correct IP address, protocol LPR and queue L1, then completed the printer brand and model details. When that finished, I tried a test page and nothing has come out at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With thanks to David for his persistence.

What I've done is as follows:

1. I have run through the process for manual installation of a TCP/IP printer port as follows:
a) Open control panel (classic view) -> Printers
b) Add printer
c) Select networked printer
d) Ignore the fact that it finds my printer, select "the printer I want isn't listed"
e) Change device type to "TCP/IP device"
f) Type in fixed IP address
g) Let it auto-fill the device name.
h) Uncheck the "query the printer and automatically set the driver to use" option, then click "Next"
i) On device trpe window, select "custom" and press "settings"
j) In "configure standard TCP/IP port monitor" window select LPR protocol, set LPR port to P1, and select LPR byte counting, then "OK
k) Select "Next", give make and model of printer

2. Before attempting to print a test page, I set the print properties (advanced tab) to "start prinmting after last page is spooled"

This latter step was tried because the Netgear knowledge base suggests that sometimes the print spooler gets stuck with large documents. I wouldn't call the standard test page a large document but...

With this setup, it worked when I printed a test page. I now have to see whether it works "in real life".

Thanks for your help,

Alan

PS I shall come back to the Linux EeePC later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My network printer (set up as described above) has stopped working with the Vista machine (still Ok printing from the W98 machine).

I have deleted the printer, deleted all ports associated with the printer, and followed the same installation route described in my last post, and now it fails to print a test page. All I get is a error message in the status line - no other information.

In the last month there has been another Vista patch, which seems to have affected the printer setup dialog boxes?

Does anyone have any clues about this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.