Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but still not getting complete answers I need. And it's baffling because I set up my network at home fairly seamlessly.

Mother-in-law has a hard wired Dell desktop, married to a HP Photosmart printer. She now also has a Dell Latitude E5500 laptop with wireless card. She put in a Belkin wireless router and the wireless internet connection is great all through the house. However, I can't get the printer added to save my life.

I've found and done all the usual info: tell the desktop setup to share the printer, go into the laptop through the add printer wizard, browse for a printer, and all I get is Microsoft Windows Network. I then type in the same name given the printer and I get "Windows cannot connect to printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly (not), or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server (no)."

I even loaded the printer software to the laptop, but that really didn't make any sense because isn't that for a printer WIRED to the laptop? It was asking for a port location but naturally nothing is connected to a port. I also tried the two other options besides Browse (typing in the printer url, etc., but may not have done it correctly). Didn't work either.

What's wrong here????

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
This is a procedure that may work for installing network printers when the normal install doesn't work properly.

1. Select: Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer
  2. Choose Add Local Printer.
  3. Uncheck the box marked :Automatically detect my PnP printer.
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port.
  6. Click Next
  7. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name.
  8. Key in: \\<computer_name>\<printer_name> See note below
  9. Click OK
  10. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. If your specific printer isn't shown, you can click on Have Disk and browse to the folder where you have the unpacked drivers for your printer.

Note:
<computer_name> - Computer name from Control Panel, System status display.
<printer_name> - The actual name of the network printer viewed by browsing to the shared printer on the network.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
Thanks for the reply, but I believe I did this as well (I checked every scenario for about a two hour period, trying and re-trying, this route, that route).

I remember the Plug n Play, and create a new port. Also, selecting the manufacturer and model (although I don't quite remember the step 8). Again, though, when I was doing this it didn't make sense because dealing with ports means it's wired to the laptop, correct??? Which it isn't.

I guess we're on the same page. Why did I get the insane message as: "Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That may be a firewall restriction, I'm at a loss as to what else would be causing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the attempt, John. I'm thinking if it were firewall related that I might get some message related to that, but ......
Maybe someone else who has seen this scenario will notice this thread and comment before I make another trip over there. Thanks!!!!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You won't necessarily see any messages if the firewall is preventing the access. A simple test it to disable all the firewalls and see if that changes things.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. JohnWill is right the computer may not allow sharing. On the desktop (is it xp?) go to the firewall settings and make sure that file and printer sharing is allowed. (see firewall.PNG in the attachments) Also go to control panel then network connections, find your network and get the properties. Make sure that file and printer sharing for MS networks is checked. (see net.PNG in the attachments)

2. Are the computers in the same workgroup? The default workgroup in xp home is MSHOME and if your laptop is vista the default for vista is WORKGROUP.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.