Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a Lexmark Optra M410 hooked to a WinXP computer. I have the printer shared correctly on this PC. Computer 2 however, is a WinMe Computer and I'm having one helluva time getting it to share the printer on the xp computer. No complicated setup, just the printer connected to the xp computer.
I should also note that I have the win me driver installed on the xp "additional drivers" sharing tab. I go to add the printer in win me and this is what happens...

I click on local printer and can setup drivers, but can't find the printer.
I click though network printer and go right through to the xp computer, but the printer is not listed.

Is there something else I can be doing here? Or rather what is it that I'm doing wrong?

Is it possible that I installed the wrong driver for in "additional drivers" and if so, how do I change it?

Any help would be appreciated.

luharen.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NetTerry,

I have enabled print sharing on the XP computer. I did so through the Printers Folder by right clicking on the printer icon.

I've heard also that I should select "local printer" on the ME computer go through the next few steps and install the driver. Did that, but it still doesn't work. Did come close though... I got the networked printer come up, but then it is "shaded" out and along the left hand pane it says something like this.... "User intervention required" in red. It's not exactly what it says, but it's something like that. Also, I installed the me/98 drivers on the xp computer, but the me computer is still looking for drivers.... Doesn't seem right.

I heard too that I should go through the "local printer" route and type in the path to the printer manually. Where do I find the path to the printer and where do I type it?

I thought it was just a matter of hooking up to the printer and getting drivers from the XP computer and viola.... Very frustrating at best.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You didn't answer my 1st question, so I will assume that the answer is 'no.' Below is the wizard way to enable file and printer sharing. It really makes no difference how you try to add the remote printer to the ME machine until you configure the XP machine to make it accessible.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi TerryNet,

First off, thanks very much for your help in this matter. It really means alot.

Sorry I wasn't detailed in the last post. I enabled the Lexmark to be shared on the xp computer. I right clicked on the Lexmark icon in the Printers folder and enabled it to be shared. The hand under the icon came next. I'm not too sure if that was what you meant, or if that doesn't matter unless I run the Network setup wizard. I imagine it wouldn't let me share it if the wizard hadn't already been run, no?

The disk is the one thing I didn't do, and it sounds like the solution to the problem. I am kinda anxious to get the darn thing going RIGHT THERE AND NOW. I didn't realize there was a twenty minute wait for it. I did upload those drivers already for the shared Printer, and hopefully they'll work. I installed PS (post script) driver for the ME computer. There was another one there too, but I didn't install it.... Please be patient with me, I'm not good at the Print and File sharing thing. :D

Anyhow the other print driver was some wierd extension.... JCL or something like it? I know I'm throwing out a long shot there. If that Post Script one is wrong, how do I change it?

Also, if I had another xp computer, does that mean I need that disk to set it up too? I was told that it was a straight forward procedure for another xp computer just to find the original xp computer's share resources.

Again TerryNet, thanks again for the help and your patience.

Lu

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You have to enable file and printer sharing on the XP machine. Until you do so it doesn't matter how many printers or files you mark as 'shared'; they will not be accessible until you enable the overall file and printer sharing. You don't have to use the wizard to do so, but it's probably the easiest for the network/workgroup beginner.

Enabling file and printer sharing on the ME (using a disk with XP's Network Setup Wizard is one way) will allow you to access files and printers on the ME. But you need not do this in order to connect to XP's printer or access XP's files. Same statement (except that it has its own wizard) applies if your other computer is running XP.

I don't know which driver is needed on the ME. I guess we'll find out if you chose the wrong one. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.