Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving my stuff from a 10 year old desktop to a newer Compaq PC (a freebie, so don't knock it... :up: ). Since my HP Laserjet 3100 printer was connected to a Lava PCI card in the old PC, I pulled the card and installed it in the Compaq last night. It was LPT1 in the old PC, and was showing up as LPT3 in the Compaq. I deleted the old printer file since it showed as being connected via the old PC and 'installed' the new printer on this PC using the same driver, etc, with LPT3 as the port. I determined it was reading as LPT3 via the Device Manager on the System Manager program.

I turned the printer off (unplugged it), reset everything, and couldn't get anything to print. The Compaq troubleshooter program didn't help any.

I did NOT get fancy with any parallel/USB converter cables or anything. It's the same parallel cable that's been driving the printer for 11 years and was working until yesterday afternoon when I disconnected it from the old PC.

I then switched the Lava PCI card in the #3 PCI slot with the wireless networking card in the #1 PCI slot just in case there was an issue with the #3 slot, but with the cards switched, and the printer set up changed to LPT1 (verified via the Device Manager), and the computer and printer rebooted, I still can't print anything to this printer. There's no problem with the USB port printer (Canon color inkjet), but this laserjet parallel printer doesn't want to work with me.

I also went into the BIOS and couldn't find anything related to the ports (checking for the 'EPP' designation, or whatever it is, for bidirectionality. Went through it a couple of times. Only applicable setting was to turn off the "Plug-n-PLay" and then turn it back on again... and I turned on the diagnostic screen at boot up. Rebooted and the PC "found" the 3100 printer... but then I couldn't reinstall the drivers from the original disc. It keeps coming up saying that these drivers don't support Windows NT, which I'm not using. I'm running Windows XP Home, SP2.

Right now I'm about to push this printer out the 2nd floor window right behind it... arghhh...

There are days I hate computers... and this is one of them.

So what am I missing??? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that at HP.com, but they don't offer the newest driver download. They just say "the most recent is compatible", or some such thing.

I'll check again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.