Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, ive juz added some more a 512 ram to an existing 512 ram. and aded a dvd drive. now dat i start my system i get this after it detects the 1024 ram, keyboard, all drives
after all of dat, it gives me dis msg, " PRI HARD DISK: S.M.A.R.T STATUS BAD BACKUP AND REPLACE TO CONTINUE PRESS F4" does it stand for, Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology?
my system is up and runnig though. it still gives me the same msg after i reboot and such. i have checked th connections and everything is firm as it should be. a fren said dat i may disable the S.M.A.R.T thingy. is dat possible or is my hard disk already screwd but not showing it??
i have no idea wat to searh for on google
any help?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
That means the hard drive is fixing to die. Do what it says. Back up your important data to another hard drive or CD/DVD. Then go to the the hard drive's manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic program. Run it and it will tell you what's happening with it.
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/manhard/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sheesh. i gotta do it quick den. eerrr, is there a way to find out wat manufacturer my hard disk is from by using EVEREST?
diss is all i got
Drive #1 - IC35L040AVER07-0 (38 GB)

·
Registered
390 Posts
input_output said:
sheesh. i gotta do it quick den. eerrr, is there a way to find out wat manufacturer my hard disk is from by using EVEREST?
diss is all i got
Sounds like an IBM. I'd believe the SMART failure. I had an IBM drive die on me just the other day. At least you got warning. I didn't.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
input_output said:
diss is all i got
go into ..system....hardware... device mgr ..disk drives it'll tell ya there

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. so the consensus is dat i better back up and get a new hard drive huh... sigh..... was juz abt to spend the cash for a dual monitor setup
will do a back up first, and den use the hard drive diagnostics to see if it can be repaired or juz glitch. hopefully the latter
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sometimes a drive will run OK for a long time with a S.M.A.R.T. warning. Most times not. What did the IBM diagnostics say about it? It's your call, to run it like that or go for a new and bigger hard drive. That dual monitor setup you speak of won't work very good when the hard drive craps out. As cheap as drives are, a good 160 gig would be good. And with a warranty too. Good luck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree. As I think back, I actually had the S.M.A.R.T warn me once, months back. I ignored it 'cause it never came back, and the drive was working fine. At least, make frequent backups and buy a spare HD. As junker39 says, drives are relatively cheap these days. I'd at least download IBM/Hitachi's drive tools, and give it a thorough going-over. Is you HD installed in your case flat, or vertical? Mine failed on the vertical, but I was able to pull data off it while it lay flat - and SMART is OK when it's flat as well. But I still wouldn't trust it further than you can throw your monitor (if it's a CRT).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i guess dat abt sums it up. ive taken the oppurtunity to back up wat i need. and im off to get a 80 gig hard drive for now. i may juz have to wait till ard sept to save up for a local IT fair.
thanks for the help and opinions
very much appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.