Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to build a new computer. I want it to be as top of the line as possible. We were going to get the Intel 3.4 MHz CPU with the new Prescott core and the 1 MB cache but we're not sure now. Seems some reviewers are saying that it gets unbearable hot and that the specs aren't that good :( In fact Intel is going to stop rating their CPU's by speed and just give them a generic number like 5xx.

Has anyone purchased a Prescott or read anything about it? Any links to the Prescott that you've seen (doesn't have to be a 3.4). We don't build computers very often, last one was a Pentium II, but when we do build them we try to make them as top of the line as possible. Can anyone suggest which is the best all around processor to use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Greetings,

Here are some to check out :

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/ - If you want to just read 'conclusion'.

http://www.arstechnica.com/news/posts/1075685131.html - See links at bottom to HardOCP and Ananadtech. Good forums should you want to read further or post there.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1647/

http://news.google.com/news?q=INTEL+PRESCOTT+PROBLEMS&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn

------------------

At present I'm looking to buy a third machine and as I have two Athlon 2600s I wanted to get an Intel to try out the Hyperthreading features. However I have read that there are numerous teething troubles with the Prescott - resulting in the advantages of the 1mb cache being cancelled out. Obviously it depends on your primary uses for a new system - but as you stated you want one as powerful as possible, you might want to wait some before committing to a purchase.

As you may / may not be aware both Athlon and Intel will be releasing new system architecture by June, the Mobos, Cpus etc will be totally separate from whats available now, there will also be the initial releases of PCI Express (faster that AGP 8), as well as DDR 3 Ram.

You might want to read up first - I will post more as I find it.

Richard.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I already read the one from Toms Hardware, that's why I didn't buy it :p

I wish I had known about the new processors coming out in June. I already have the motherboard and everything else here waiting to be built. Maybe it's not too late to return them. I will definitely be looking into the newer ones. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by RSM123:
I was Googling and Eating (Chicken) :eek:
Probably one of my distant relatives... but then they like to be googled :p :D

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I've read I've forgotten about waiting until June mostly because of the new BTX form factor (which by the way looks very sweet). We use a rack mount case and it is set up strickly for ATX, so the new BTX most likely won't work in it. Also the biggest CPU that will be offered will be a 2.6 GHz until late this fall, and that is waiting a bit too long for us. Another reason is that the first video cards that use PCI Express will not use the full potential of PCI Express so that's not much of a advantage either.

I'm going to read more about the Prescott and decide if it's worth it to get it or the Northwood, which at the moment it the clear winner between the two. In fact in some test the 3.2 Northwood beat out the 3.4 Prescott :p

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks RSM123 for the articles. I really appreciate all the links. It's a shame that Intel is having such troubles with the Prescott. I would have thought that the larger cache would have made a bigger difference, but because of the heat problems it simply isn't worth it. I think this article summed it up best;

If you're looking for nothing more than a purchasing decision let's put it simply: if you're not an overclocker, do not buy any Prescott where there is an equivalently clocked Northwood available. This means that the 2.80E, 3.00E, 3.20E are all off-limits, you will end up with a CPU that is no faster than a Northwood and in most cases slower. If you are buying a Pentium 4 today, take advantage of the fact that vendors will want to get rid of their Northwood based parts and grab one of them.
Thanks again ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.