Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just purchased a 6600gt PCI-E graphics card from a website. I didnt realize this before but in the description it says it needs a min. 350w power supply, while my pc only has a 300w. Is it a bad idea to unplug my back cd drive and otherthings that i am not using to see if I can run this? If not, then here is another question. Where the power supply plugs into the motherboard itself it has 24 pins (12 running down each side). Is ther a special name for these pins, I am having trouble finding ones to buy off of websites, most of them just have 20 pins. Any help!? :confused:

·
Registered
914 Posts
The adapter you are looking or can be found Here .There are 2, they are the next to last ones down. Make sure which end needs to be male, and which needs to be female. The one you need should be the one in the left column.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
If you are trying to run a 24 pin mb with a 20 pin power supply using an adapter, this is NOT recommended. If your power supply is 24 pin and you want to use it on a 20 pin board, this is ok using an adapter.

While there are 20-24 pin adapters available, it is not a good idea to use one. Unless the ps in question is a VERY high quality unit, it will not work. The extra 4 pins on the new units supply extra current to the 12V rail. What the adapter does is splice off of the existing 12V rail; it does not supply any "extra" power.

Since you are running a high power video card, you are just asking for problems using an adapter with a 300W unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.