Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought a Compaq laptop from a company a few years ago. They no longer were going to use them. They had some company specific setups on it.
It has the power-on password set. However when I go to Setup and try to turn it off, I get a message telling me that the computer protects the power-on password and I can't change it it the setup utility. Any ideas on how I can deal with this?

Also, it is looking for some Netware file that didn't stay resident. How can I get it to stop looking for them. I checked the normal places. Autoexec, config, etc...

Or, should I just attach an external CD drive and reinstall Windows to start from scratch?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I dont know about the password problem, but for the Netware files that are not found when you load Windows note the filenames and run "FIND" in win.ini, system.ini and in regedit. Of course be careful when dealing with the registry.

·
Registered
305 Posts
maybe if you pulled the jumper to reset cmos and turn the computer on and off a couple of times or if no jumper remove the motherboard battery and turn the system off and on a couple of times and this might stop the password problem

·
Registered
80 Posts
maybe look in control panels at system settings, i know some laptops have extensive control panel options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.