Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plz forgive me if this isn't the right forum to post this question.Its both a hardware and software query..

I recently re-verified the Novice part in my name wherein I accidentally flipped a switch that controlled the outlet that my power strip was on.. and made an ever dumber mistake by quickly flipping the same switch back "on."

My desktop is connected to a power strip, a pretty old one, that's suppose to act as surge protection.

I tried to start the desktop back up, but it was clear that the while the PSU was fine, the hard drive and the Mobo seemed to be experiencing difficulties. The screen was just blank with little to no indication of life. I manually turned off the desktop and restarted it twice in the same fashion. When nothing came up, I turned off the PSU to dissipate any remaining charges.

After turning the PSU again, the mobo (asus) finally reappeared and everything loaded, including the OS (XP Pro). Firefox reloaded everything from cache, so apparently nothing (software wise) seemed askew. I did notice the Quick Launch bar was missing, so I'm guessing my windows profile might have been affected slightly..

My question - aside from Window's HD error check (full 5 out of 5, the type that runs before the OS loaded) what other check-ups should I do to test if my desktop was damaged by my accidental self inflicted power outage?

Any hardware checks? Software-wise? OS-wise?

p.s. if it makes any difference, my PSU is a thermaltake W0172RU 850w.. suppose to have at least 3 forms of voltage protection

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.