Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm puzzled.

First, the computer:
It's about 4 or 5 years old, Pentium 4, XP Pro, 512 Megs of RAM, 70 gb harddrive. My dad made the horrible mistake of purchasing a built system from someone online... For a long time, the computer kept giving blue-screen stop messages of a few varieties. It never did it with any sort of pattern, always on its own whim. Long story short, about 8 months ago, I got this computer and gave him my nice little laptop (sounds like a stupid thing to do... and it was... but again, it's a long long story). First thing I did was wipe the thing clean and reinstall stuff. Instead of stop errors, the machine just decided to restart itself from time to time (and this is before I ever connected to the internet, so I'm almost certain it's a hardware issue). I installed SP2, which didn't really help or hurt matters any...

So here's the problem:
The computer restarts itself whenever it feels like it. For a while, it went weeks without doing it once. Recently, it's been a total bugger and done it whenever I'm in the middle of anything. The only time it has predictably done it is when I was attempting to install MystV (for two hours before I gave up trying) the other night: Every time I'd get about halfway through the second disc, either the computer would restart or the install would give an "unexpected error" message and close. I even tried installing from the hard drive and in safe mode. It installed just fine on my roommate's computer. Another thing the computer has done from time to time (always at the most inconvenient moments), is close programs and give that lovely "unexpected error" message. Firefox, Outlook, IE, AIM, Yahoo, Ad-aware, AVG, and even my system information.... It used to just do it every once in a while. However at the moment, nothing except for firefox and ad-aware will stay open for longer than 5 seconds (and the other two aren't much better... I'm surprised firefox is behaving nicely right now).

Things I've tried:
-memtest86 came out clean
-avg virus-scan (when it ran its last test on the 14th at 8 am) came out clean
-banging my head against the wall didn't help :mad:
-reinstalling my video card drivers (someone suggested it) didn't help

Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Disable automatic restarts on errors, it should give a BSOD where you can read the error and post back.

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings - uncheck "Automatically restart..." - OK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... here's the code-ish part of the error.

stop 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xA96E883C, 0xA96E8538, 0xF83D3F00)

ntfs.sys Address F83D3F00 base at F83A3000 datestamp 41107eea

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
And this for this Stop Error from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:

Go to Start => Run and in the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:
cmd

Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:
chkdsk drive: /f (note the space before the /f switch)

Method 2:

Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess what! A friend of mine came over to help, ran a zillion and one tools (which were all neat and fantastic, but didn't solve the problem...) So. Finally, he uninstalled the latest windows update, and now all those programs that wouldnt work... work! Funny, hm? As for the computer randomly restarting, I guess only time will tell on that. However, I was able to successfully install MystV, which is also a small triumph. Thanks for all of your suggestions :)

-k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.