Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been having a very bad issue while playing world of warcraft. I have the 8600GT xxx edition with 4200+ AMD x2 and 1gb RAM. 400W Power supply i think is sufficient and the card is about 6 months old. I run the game on highest settings and usually recieve anywhere from 30-50 fps which is fine.

Problem used to be somewhat rare but now it happens at least once every 30 min. Usually occurs during zoning in and out of certain areas and when flying. FPS drops down to 2-4 and then i see polygonal distortments of solid colored lines and such until finally the game crashes. Before, while playing in Full Screen mode, the game would crash to desktop where the resolution would be different and instead of 32 bit color i would have 4 or something. At that point the computer would seize up and monitor would go idle but sound could still be heard. Since then i have been playing under windowed mode which just gives me the opportunity to X out of the game before i have to restart the system.

About a week before it got bad though i recieved some memory dump blue screens so i was forced to test my memory sticks and took one out. Sorry for the long read but what does this issue sound like. Could it be the video card overheating? I tried to take side casing off and even placing a small fan right outside to cool the card. Temp dropped down 10 degrees on the computer. It could be the motherboard as well or maybe the game is just being a pain and blizzard once again screwed up. I'm lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
it certainly does sound like overheating... im guessing you have updated the drivers? im gonna keep tuned to this one...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand is NZXT. I updated the drivers and it doesn't crash anymore but i still get weird fps dips. I would think with the 8600gt xxx you'd get better than 20-30 fps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What brand is your video card? IF it has a life time waranty, RMA it and get a new one. Maybe that will solve your problem.

Thats why I like Evga, my 1st 6800 gt broke down while back, RMA and gotta new one. So, when i bought a 9600 gt, I bought one made by Evga.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.