Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my PNY Geforce 6600GT 128MB AGP is under performing. On Counter-Strike Source with max quality settings I'm only getting 20-70 fps. It varies quite a lot. I've read that other people get 120fps in CS:S on max quality.

If you have a 6600GT could you tell me what your framerate is on CS:S.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It might have something to do with only having 512 RAM. You may want to consider upgrading that, especially since you're running a 6600GT off of your system. Just my opinion.

I don't currently have a 6600GT or CS:S, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought 512MB was plenty. Would getting another stick of Crucial 512MB DDR400 improve the graphics much then? I didn't think RAM affected the graphics much, if at all. :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
It won't help graphics (unless you run on an integrated chip and allocate more memory, but you're not), but it might help improve FPS. I don't know what could be bringing down those FPS scores. You have a capable setup. If all else fails, try exchanging it for a new card. :/

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only MSN Messenger, ZoneAlarm and Anti-Virus running in the background. That won't effect it much surely? Is the amount of RAM I have holding my computer back? Obviously having 1GB of RAM is better than 512MB but does CS:S actually use more than 512MB?

·
Registered
506 Posts
your processor might create a slight bottleneck... check those other guys that say they have 120 fps, and see what processor they have and also what drivers theyre using.

what drivers to you have right now?

·
Registered
743 Posts
robolob
i have a similiar quality G.card .. i get great FPS in other games , but in cs :s i get 35-70 and i run 512 ddr and a AMD [email protected] nothing running in the background .. but you never know what these OTHER guys have done to their machines .. they could be tweaked out .. check this ..
http://www.tweakxp.com/article34.aspx
http://www.tweakxp.com/article114.aspx
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
http://www.nvidia.com
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=37
hope this helps ..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had really bad performance in Escape from butcher bay using a 64 machine with 1gb and a 6600GT, in the end it ended up being something to do with the pixel shader setting in the game menu, after playing about with that the game run great. Might be totally different in your game but maybe worth checking out just incase.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, I've been playing around a lot with the quality settings in Counter-Strike Source and I've noticed that neither antialiasing or antistropic filtering have an effect on fps. Surely I should get a fps drop. I don't think they are even enabling properly. I still get serrated looking lines in the game with both whacked up full.

I've just installed the latest chipset driver and reinstalled the latest video driver so I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Roblobob said:
I've just installed the latest chipset driver and reinstalled the latest video driver so I'll see how it goes.
that shoulda been your first move. i would think that will fix that your problem.

if not... and youre saying that you dont think antialiasing is "set up" right or whatever, check your graphics card settings. it should be set to "application controlled", but double check. right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced > your graphics card tab > performance and quality settings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i breifly read all this but in cs:s you tell it how much ram to use right-click the shortcut and goto properties and after the Target: type -heapsize 262144 and it will use 256mb of ram for the game you can put any size you want the default is 80mb

·
Registered
506 Posts
joe_joe133 said:
i breifly read all this but in cs:s you tell it how much ram to use right-click the shortcut and goto properties and after the Target: type -heapsize 262144 and it will use 256mb of ram for the game you can put any size you want the default is 80mb
its unrelated to the topic, but whatever.

what does this do for you, decrease loading times?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in3rt!a said:
that shoulda been your first move. i would think that will fix that your problem.

if not... and youre saying that you dont think antialiasing is "set up" right or whatever, check your graphics card settings. it should be set to "application controlled", but double check. right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced > your graphics card tab > performance and quality settings.
I already tried the latest graphics driver before I started this thread but I hadn't updated the chipset driver. It had no effect though, apart from messing up the textures the first time I loaded CS:S. I restarted the game and it was normal again, but still low fps.

All my games are set as "application controlled" except Q3. Niether HL2 nor CS:S are listed in there but that shouldn't matter should it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
no, it shouldnt.

i still say your performance may be limited by your processor..

it wouldnt be that bad of a bottleneck, but it may a little. i mean, is your performance that bad? is it high fps most of the time, or low most of the time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.