Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I had an external DVD recorder hooked up to my computer (Win XP SP2) and it started not to work too well so I bought a new one. It is a Sony DRX-820U. It is supposed to be plug and play, but when I hook it up, it comes up with Found new hardware, but then the Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up and asks for the installation CD. Since it is Plug and Play, it did not come with an installation CD. When I cancel out of the Wizard, a message come up with an indication that the device may not work properly. In device manager it shows with a yellow ! with code 1 and says the device is not configured correctly. I spoke to tech support who told me that it was a registry problem and most likely a confliict with my former CD drive. I went through the registry and deleted every reference to my old drive, but the new one still doesn't install. Can anyone please help? It would be most appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only comes with a software CD, not an installation CD. This was confirmed with Sony tech support. Its supposed to be a plug and play device. Is there any way to fix plug and play if it no longer works?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
It should be PNP if the USB drivers are installed. Are your motherboard chipset drivers installed? Try deleting the drive in device manager then scan for hardware changes. When the new hardware wizard opens, don't cancel out. Have it scan your C: drive or Windows CD.

If that doesn't work there may be a conflict with something left over from your old drive. What was your old drive, and what burning software was installed? Does My Computer still show a drive letter for your old drive?

Edit: I see in your other thread that you also tried a USB flash drive which did not work. So I am guessing motherboard USB chipset drivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. How would I find out if my motherboard USB chipset drivers are installed? Also, I know for a fact that PNP was working 6 months ago so how could something have been uninstalled with no action on my part? I really appreciate your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.