Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i need help on what cables i may need to transfer data from SATA 3GBS hardrive which is no longer in the laptop to my laptop which was installed with a new hardrive and i want to recover my files please help me!

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
Assuming the new hard drive in the laptop has a Windows operating system installed and working USB ports ...

You would need a USB to SATA adapter with cable that matches the SATA connector on the old drive. If you plan to keep using the old drive as an external drive you could get a USB to SATA adapter that includes a suitable enclosure.

EDIT: For future reference, you may want to use more descriptive subjects when starting a new thread.

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
You would need to identify the exact type of connector used on the old hard drive and find a USB converter that matches it.

Here is a link to 3GB/s SATA to USB 3.0 adapter that maybe is the right type. If your laptop has USB 2.0 ports, the adapter should run at the slower USB 2.0 speed instead of 3.0 without any problems.

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-SA0812-S1

You may be able to find less expensive adapters that work at slower SATA and USB data rates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.