Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Compaq lap top is about 6yrs old and currently loads up with Windows XP but when finished I am unable to use the keyboard as it is completely frozen. The touch pad does work and allows me to point to programs on my desk top but when I click to open them it automatically open Note Book and it the letter N keeps repeatidly scrolling across. Since Window does load up my virus scan does work and I have allowed it to do a full virus and malware scan but they show up clean. I have tried going into DOS to try to fix the problem but since my keyboard is frozen it doesn't allow me to tab down to start manually so it automatically load WindowsXP. I occasionally get the blue screen telling me that perhaps hardware was installed incorrectly. The only thing I can thing of causing the blue screen is when I have used my wireless router in the past it would sometimes cause the blue screen to pop up and I would have to close everything down and reboot. I know that if I bring my lap top in to a computer store to fix they are going to suggest getting a new Lap Top since they relatively inexpensive now but trying here first before I do that.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Sounds like one of your keys is stuck, check all of them to see if you can find the guilty party.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for responding so quickly. I tried checking all the keyboard keys with special attention to "N" as that shows up on Note Pad. They all seem to be working. I tried looking for instructions in my computer manual to see if I somehow locked the keys but couldn't find anything indicating how to lock and unlock keyboard. When I try using the touch pad and click on any icon I see that two icons blink rapidly - ne being note pad and the other my set up for netmeeting. I sometimes get a message asking if I want to begin setting up netmeeting . When I click yes nothing really happens same with when I click no. I am totally confused.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Symptoms still point to a stuck key, it could be any key not necessarily the "n" key.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked each one and they are moving freely. Should I try to remove the "N"key and see if something underneath is sticking? I am not sure how to remove the key without damaging them. I just did a virus scan and before it completely I got a blue error screen again and it listed "Driver IRQL-not-less-or-equal". Not sure what that means.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
It is possible that the keyboard is Bad electronically, not mechanically, the keys move freely but the is an internal short in the keyboard. If this is the case a keyboard replacement would fix it. But then a 6 year old Compaq Laptop has lasted a good long time. It may be time to look for a replacement Laptop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
I removed my keyboard and then restarted without the keyboard attached. Everything loaded up as usual but when I used my touch pad I still had the same problems so I guess it isn't my keyboard that is the problem. I guess I this point I should buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Is one of the "mouse" buttons stuck? Can you get to the control panel and check the button settings for click speed? Maybe they are set too fast.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi and thanks for trying to help me. I haven't even connected the mouse. I can't even get into the control panel since the program requires me to click on it and when I do the Note Pad open all the time. I will try right clicking on the start button and see if I can find someway to access the mouse speed. Right clicking for some reason gets me in to some things. Same with top buttoms

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
By "mouse" I meant the buttons that do the mouse functions next to the touch pad.

You may want to try to attach a mouse to see if it lets you access anything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I have ruled out a bad keyboard and I think it may have something to do with network setup or network connections since those two icons while in control panel keep blinking and both start with N which explains why when I click on any program it open note pad or net meeting. Have no idea how to fix this.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
The only commonality these programs and notepad share is that they all begin with "N", I can replicate this behavior on a system by holding down the "N" key, it has nothing to do with the programs themselves.

It is possible that the keyboard controller for your keyboard is bad if the keyboard is no longer connected, I do not know of a way to disable the controller.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate your patience in trying to help me but sounds like time for a new computer. Everything seems to be working nicely except for this glitch but not worth the cost of bringing it in for repair.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Given the low cost of new units you will probably be much happier with a new one versus a repair, I just thought if we could possibly track down the cause you could have extended the life of your current unit a little longer.

Thanks for the follow up and good luck with your new laptop when you get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.