Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of a background on my situation:

I am studying to take the CPA exam so I bought a Becker course CD to study for the exam. It isn't posted anywhere on the website and appears in fine print on the course materials, but I guess this thing expires in six months.

I tried to open it up last night and it wouldn't open. I called the company and they are sending me a new disk, however it won't arrive until after I take the exam. The materials include a course CD and a floppy disk, the disk has an authorization code on it but I think the CD is time stamped. I tried setting my computer's clock back, both on the system and in the bios, but the program always says there is a date mismatch. Where else could it be pulling the date from? It's not pulling it from the disk and obviously it can't write it back to the CD, I even tried doing a new install on a different machine and turned the internet connection off. They said they would have to send me another CD, so that leads me to believe the only place it could be getting the date is from the CD. The program code must be reading two dates off the system in order to come up with a mismatch. If someone could tell me where else it could be pulling it from I would really appreciate it. I paid $2,500 for the software and can't even use it past six months. Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Did u have to install any software from the cd on the hard drive? like some cds have autorun software that gets installed as soon as u put the disk in the drive. Try cleaning out the registry with Regcleaner. There's either a setup file that is providing the time of installation or a registry entry that is invoked every time the disk is read.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Bout the only way that makes any sense, is somehow you looked at the CD at some time in the past. It made a file and wrote it to the hard drive in some manner. Maybe as a program / system file or maybe even a Registry entry.

Was there a program to install???? Did it do some sort of installation??? Could try searching for the program folder or even thumbing thru the Registry.

$2500 for six months use, how do I get in that business? Whoa!!! Somebody hold me back. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.