Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently finished typing my Phd abstract and the deadline is in a few days. I transferred the finished document to a usb drive, so as to print it off a different computer which was connected to the printer. When I tried to open it this is what it says:

"This office open XML file "title.docx" cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents"

On clicking the details button it says

"The file is corrupted and cannot be opened
"

On clicking ok It gives the following message

"Word found unreadable content "title.docx" Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of the document click yes."

I clicked yes, and this is what it says:

"This office open XML file "title.docx" cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents"

On clicking the details button again it says

"The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag
"

I have tried various recover/repair softwares on the net and unfortunately none of them has worked. Uploading the file to google docs has resulted in only two pages of the 17 being recovered. I have also tried the open and repair feature in word as well as the recover text from any file option as these were suggested by microsoft troubleshoot article. But this has also not worked

If anyone knows how to recover at least the text from this document I will be extremely grateful, as this file is of extreme importance to my course. If required i can email the file over to you should it help. Please please please x 10 help

·
Administrator
123,556 Posts
First I would like to know what operating system you are running. It probably has no bearing on the issue but could be useful.

More importantly, what version of MS Office Word do you have (the one the file was created in)? I see the extension .docx and that means Office 2007 but I'm not clear on if the document was created in 2007 or not and what version is trying to open it?

Also, don't you still have the parent document?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The operating system i use is xp home edition. The version of office is office 2007 and the file was created in it. The parent file is the one i copied onto the USB drive via cut and paste. Thus its the only copy.

·
Administrator
123,556 Posts
The operating system i use is xp home edition. The version of office is office 2007 and the file was created in it. The parent file is the one i copied onto the USB drive via cut and paste. Thus its the only copy.
But my question is, do you still have the original document that you copied or did you delete it? Is the machine you're using to try to open the document also running Office 2007?

·
Administrator
123,556 Posts
I think OP is saying 'copy' when they mean 'moved'....they moved the document from the hard drive of the computer to the USB without leaving a copy in the original location.
It's not easy to do that. When you copy something, it doesn't delete the original. Even when you "send" a file somewhere, the original is maintained in its location unless you delete it.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
FAO (CG) Karen:

"The parent file is the one i copied onto the USB drive via cut and paste."

"Cut" as in moved from one location to another.

:(

·
Administrator
123,556 Posts
You should never "cut" and paste. Always "copy" and paste. You can always go back and delete it later if you're sure that's what you want to do. I use "send to" and select the USB drive. The original remains intact.

In any event, it's done now. So is the computer you're using to try to open it also running Office 2007?

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
K, this might be complete waffle BUT ...

... have you tried opening it with OpenOffice? Couple times I've had it open MS Office files that MS Office couldn't.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Have you copied it to the second computer or are you trying to open it from the USB drive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.