Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinging Sound???

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  highspeed 
#1 ·
I get a pinging sound on my computer after it has been on for around an hour or so....
It happens when it is prossesing data or whenever I move the mouse, I thought it was my Geforce 6200 card, so I took it out. There was no noise for around an hour then it started again!, so it cannot be the gfx card.
I have looked at the fan, there is no wires caught on it, but it is a little dusty?
Could that be the problem?
Please can anybody help me????
My computer -

P4 3.00ghz
1gb DDR RAM
Geforce 6200

#6 ·
Its definatly coming from the case, I have turned my speakers off and opened the case and had a listen.
Like I said, the computer doesnt slow down at all or hang...just that little pinging sound! :mad:

And it always appears after around half an hour to an hour....

I will try and record the sound and post it if possible..

#9 ·
It's hard to imagine the problem from your description - not that it's vague , just unusual ! Does it sound like the 'ping' is coming from the case speaker (or any speaker) i.e. is it like a quirky Windows sound effect or more like a mechanical "real" sound like a spring being released ? It may be chip creep - big sound or little sound ? Would love to hear it - you got me curious lol ! Did it take longer for the sound to occur when you had the sides open ? Try blowing a fan through the case when you have it open to see if it takes longer to occur .

#11 ·
UPDATE -

I have brought some compressed air in a can...sprayed it everywhere, a right load of **** came out....

Booted my computer up, ok for a bit, then noise came back!...whenever I moved the mouse (scrolled up and down a webpage)...

So I changed the ram around...I have 2 sticks of 512mb, and I only have 2 banks...

It didn't boot up!....

So I took one of them out, and still no boot!....so after a few josselin about...

One of my sticks is bad!...

Could that be the problem???

Waitin to here the noise again? (fingers crossed no noise!)

But why did it work in the 1st place, showin that I got 990mb meg of ram....hold on!, shouldnt that be sayin I have 1gb of ram in control panel -> system -> then wait for it to appear (your processer/and mb)...

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY REPLY, THIS IS DOIN MY HEAD IN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.