Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Cropping means you're cutting out part of a picture, and that will work if it's appropriate. I.e., you have a person and a background. and you only want the person.
You're more likely to want the entire picture in a smaller size.
My camera's native format, for instance, is 2048 x 1536 at 72 pixels per inch.
That's about 9 MB, which is a bit too large. In most cases I use an editing app to change one dimension, like the width, to a smaller size, say 600 pixels. All editing programs will change the other dimension proportionally. This gives a size of 600 x 450, or 756 Kb, which is much more manageable. If I save it as a jpg at a lower quality, the size can be dramatically reduced further.
I don't know what image software you have available, but I'm sure there's a program that will do this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IF you have photoshop, i know you can open your image, go to file > save for web and choose the jpeg format and then move a slider along until its the size you need. This also reduces quality although not a noticeable amount above 60.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.