Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of comp do you need to run photoshop 7 really good?
i've got a p3 800,128mb ram,32mb tnt2 m64...and it runs crap.
what's the most crucial element for photoshop? is it a good video card, ram of cpu speed?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Difficult to say - I have run it on a Celeron 400mhz, W98, 128 mem, 6 gb HDD and a Diamond Monster card. It ran Ok, slowly and took ages to filter. I currently run it on an Athlon 2800+, W2k, 512 dual channel, nforce 2 card and three HDD (largest 160gb SATA) - runs like a dream.

My thoughts are you need (in order) a lot of memory, a second, large HDD for the scratch file and a decent card. Others will chip in with their opinions. Hope this helps.

regards

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
You probably don’t want to put too much stuff into that computer. The video card, RAM and CPU you could put in it are obsolete, so they couldn’t be used in anything else.

The time it takes Photoshop to accomplish a task is directly related to your CPU speed. But Photoshop runs into a brick wall when it runs out of RAM – it slows to maybe 1/10 speed or less because it is having to use the hard drive as virtual memory. If your video card is good enough for whatever you are currently doing on the computer it is probably good enough for Photoshop.

You can get by with 128Mb of RAM if you:
Use relatively small files
Clean out your startups and shut everything down before opening Photoshop.
Assign more RAM to Photoshop than the Photoshop default.

You might think that working with a 2Mb JPG from your camera is a small file. But that is a compressed file and it could expand to 14Mb in Photoshop when it decompresses. That 14Mb would be the size Photoshop works with. If you keep the history at default, work with several layers etc you can run yourself out of RAM easily working with a 14Mb file. Unless you are planning to work with really small files you would probably do yourself a big favor by adding some RAM.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the ideas...
so ram's the major problem what if i increase vm?(it's on 811mb)(128mb ram)
not that it runs crap...just very slowly on certain filtering and gives
choppy(massive squares...i've tried reducing the brush size and res..) graphics when using filters like distort but thats a video card problem.
it also crashes quite frequently when there's over about 20 layers i never work
on 1 it's just suicide...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd try putting as much ram as you can afford and leave alone the VM. Reason being, Graphics are very memory intensive, CPU and system speed will help also but you will stand a better change of not crashing with more ram.

If your considering spending any money at all, you may want to check out new systems, a newer system, as in over 2Ghz would probably help also and the price on those is way down from what they were 6 months ago. If your using XP, 256 ram is almost enough to make windows go smoothly.
If your still using Win 98 set VM to ram times 2
Xp, I'd leave it alone at default.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry bout that win ME...
how can i improve performance (just a little) without upgrading because i'm gettin a new comp in the near future...hopefully.(amd64 3200+ s939, 1gb ram ,6600gt)

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
02098 said:
sorry bout that win ME...
how can i improve performance (just a little) without upgrading because i'm gettin a new comp in the near future...hopefully.(amd64 3200+ s939, 1gb ram ,6600gt)
Add some ram and have as little else running as possible while you're using Photoshop... as slipe pointed out...while you wait for your new system...

Your system, as you know, is not stout enough to use big brushes, alot of filters and 20 layer files.

I have 2 home-built systems running Photoshop...

A 4 year old P3 850 with 512 ram and a couple of hard drives that does a good job but is noticably slowed when working with large files from my digital camera.

The other is 2 year old P4 3.0 with 2 gigs 3200 ram and a couple of hard drives... not much slows it down... :)

buck

·
Registered
95 Posts
ME uses VM similar to 98 so Times 2 your ram may help you a bit. Mostly more ram will help also.
More fans and over clockmay help, but it will also burn down faster,,I'd just add more Ram

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quick fix:
Set VM for 512k. You also still need scratch space on your hard disk (which Photoshop uses for temp files, i.e., filter actions, undo's, etc.). Make sure you leave at least 20% of your hard disk free--and with Photoshop, I'd make it 30%.

Don't run any other software programs while you've got PS loaded--that includes Internet apps.

You'll know you're having real memory problems when weird things start happening (as in hang-ups performing an action--longer than 15 minutes to do one thing--or getting a message that PS can't do something it's supposed to do). Back up data files in case you get a big crash because PS can't think without oxygen (room to breathe)!

Long-term fix:
Photoshop isn't getting any smaller and hardware is getting cheaper (in some instances!). Seriously consider upgrading your system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's kind of difficult to run photoshop alone without the internet running
for my kinda stuff.
i also have only a 20gb harddrive...(partitioned 5 & 15) and have only about
500mb or a little bit more say up to 900mb free on each so that might be a main factor....so when you(MSY-Houston) say at least 30% of 20gb thats like 6gb free!! somehow i don't tink thats possible.
i'll try and free it to at the most maybe 1gb will that help?

·
Registered
95 Posts
yes,,need that free space for the VM to work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.