Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AMD Athlon 1700, 40gb HD, 512 Mb Ram and a laptop with AMD K6-2 466, 6gb HD, 192 Mb Ram. The Athlon is the server. Both are running Win XP Pro. I installed a Linksys USB200HA phone line network and ran the XP Network Wizard. I can transfer files, share folders and printers with no problem, but I cannot access the Internet from the laptop. I get, "page cannot be displayed". Everything was working great for about a month and then one day the Internet was not available. There was no HW or SW changes done to either machine before the problem started.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have a dial-up connection? Many ISP's won'y allow Internet sharing, if they can detect it. Does each machine have it's own IP? Is the server also acting as a router?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you by any chance using the Linksys PCM200HA laptop network card ? If you are then try removing the card while the laptop is on and then plug it back in and restart the computer.

I also have a Phoneline network at home and I use my Win XP laptop downstairs to access the internet. 99% of the time it works fine, but sometimes I also can't access the internet so I do the procedure above and it works fine after that.

BTW Are you also using a phoneline router ? You may need to include a dedicated router in your setup to maintain the sharing of internet access.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.