Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I can't seem to save anything to my Program Files folder and I'm not sure why? It gives me this message: You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

I'm just used to saving files in that location (with my previous comp) and don't know why I can't with this one.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Apparently the Windows account you are logged in with has does not have NTFS write permission on that folder. Create a new folder elsewhere and save your files there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I should have clarified that I can't save in my C:/ drive at all, including the Program Files folder.

I get this message when trying to save a Word file: Make sure the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected or damaged.

When I want to save a download, such as Limewire, it gives me this message: A required privilege is not held by the client.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Your response clarified that confusion, but created some others. :)

You must be able to save somewhere or you would not be able to log in.

Are you talking about the root of the C:\ drive, or a specific location within it? What is the exact path to which you are attempting to save?

If you mean every location within it, regardless of folder, what drive letter is assigned to your system partition? How many partitions do you have, and what are their letter assignments? Click the Start Orb then Documents. Attempt to create a new folder there. What happens?

By the way, is your computer a domain member or workgroup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curly - sorry! I'm a scatter brain sometimes.
I CAN save in a folder under 'Users' in my C:/ drive. That's the folder that my computer directs me to save in when it doesn't let me save in Program Files.

Sorry for wasting time!

Thanks for trying to help. :p

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Right. You cannot save in \Program Files\. Nor should you! You are looking for trouble if you mess around with that directory.

Choose a different location to save your files. Your Documents directory is the perfect place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.