Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me a good retailer that I can get a Pentium M 1.7Ghz Processor? All I want is a retail or oem processor. I know you can go to newegg or tigerdirect and get a retail desktop processor, but where can you get a mobile processor. I need the BGA version not the PGA version. I'm trying to see if I can upgrade my notebook from 1.4 to 1.7. Before everyone rips me for doing a 300mhz upgrade, my thoughts were to actually hope that the dothan pentium m is compatible with my motherboard. Then I will upgrade in the future to the latest pentium m that my notebook supports.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy JGentleman...

I may be wrong here ( I don't think I am ), but the BGA version ( Ball Grid Array ) is mounted to the motherboard, and can't be replaced/removed without special tools, one such as this http://www.ape.com/chipmaster.html ( I know, I used to work in a circut board manufactureing company ), I don't think the mobile processor can be upgraded...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's something I have heard before... that figures that gateway would use the BGA and not the PGA. Oh well.... That answers my question. Thank you Jedi Master

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
No problem...

But it's not only Gateway that does this, it's just a cheaper way of manufacturing the motherboard...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.